Cancer care in Virginia's Roanoke Valley
Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at LewisGale Medical Center provides patients access to quality cancer care through a range of specialized programs, from screenings and diagnostics to advanced treatments and novel clinical trials.
Working together, we are redefining cancer care so each person facing cancer can fight the disease where they get their greatest strength — in their own community, with the support of friends and family nearby.
For more information about cancer diagnostics, treatments and other services, call askSARAH at (540) 795-6161.
Our oncology program is accredited by the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer reflects our commitment to providing comprehensive cancer care.
We are also deemed a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology for meeting rigorous quality assurance standards of care related to breast health.
Comprehensive oncology services
Our cancer center gives patients access to the full spectrum of services for preventing, diagnosing and treating cancer. Patients choose Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at LewisGale Medical Center for:
- A multidisciplinary team of specialists collaborating to provide a personalized care plan with the latest treatment options for every patient
- State-of-the-art diagnostic and imaging technology
- Genetic testing to assess your cancer risk
- Patient navigation from highly skilled, oncology-trained nurses
- State-of-the-art treatment options
- Access to clinical trials
- Support services for patients and caregivers including nutrition, rehab, spiritual guidance, financial counseling and survivorship
Your cancer care team
When you receive care at our facility, you have a team of cancer specialists working together to provide you with the best treatment at the right time in your cancer journey. Our team includes the following specialists:
- Medical, surgical and radiation oncologists
- Surgeons who specialize in hundreds of cancers
- Plastic and reconstructive surgeons
- Nurse navigators
- Certified genetic counselor
- Oncology-certified dietitians
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Financial and legal counselors
- Palliative care team
Our oncology-specialized nurse navigators serve as advocates and educators for you and your family from discovery to survivorship. Nurse navigators facilitate communication between your entire care team, help coordinate appointments and transportation and address any other barriers you may face during your cancer journey.
Types of cancer we treat
Our oncology team includes hundreds of specialists with decades of experience in screening, diagnosing and treating cancers including, but not limited to:
- Bladder cancer
- Blood cancer
- Brain tumors
- Breast cancer
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- Genitourinary cancer
- Hepatobiliary cancer (liver and gallbladder)
- Head and neck cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Lung and chest cancers
- Peritoneal carcinoma and peritoneal mesothelioma
- Prostate cancer
- Skin cancer, including melanoma
- Thyroid cancer
Advanced diagnostic tools
To get the best cancer care, you first need the most accurate diagnosis. We offer the latest in diagnostic technology, and our physicians are skilled in interpreting results.
Our resources include:
- 3 tesla (3t) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Robotic Bronchoscope for lung nodule biopsies and detection of cancer in an earlier stage
- 3D mammography
- Computerized tomography (CT) high-resolution scanning, including low-dose CT for lung cancer screening
- Electromagnetic navigational bronchoscopy for early detection of lesions deep within the lungs
- Hematology services for detecting and treating cancers of the blood
- Molecular imaging
- Positron emission tomography (PET) scanning and combined PET/CT scanning
- Sentinel node biopsy
- Stereotactic, ultrasound or MRI guidance for breast imaging and biopsy
Genetic testing for cancer
Just as heredity determines the color of your eyes or the shape of your nose, family history may increase your risk for certain types of cancer. Our genetic specialists can help you and your family understand your cancer risks and how you can manage or reduce those risks.
To learn more about cancer genetic testing, please call (540) 776-4963.
Cancer treatments we provide
Our multidisciplinary teams respond quickly to guide you from diagnosis through survivorship. Your oncology team will develop a plan of care based on your cancer type and needs using one or a combination of these innovative treatments:
- Cancer, plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Chemotherapy and immunotherapy (biotherapy) infusion
- Radiation therapy, including brachytherapy and stereotactic radiosurgery
- Highly complex, high-acuity surgeries for cancers of the brain, pancreas, liver and lungs, including Whipple surgery for pancreatic cancer and thoracic surgery for lung cancer
- Minimally invasive and robotic surgery
Our cancer specialists meet on a weekly basis, known as "Tumor Board" meetings. During these meetings, physicians across specialties share knowledge and insights to help craft the most effective treatment plan for each patient’s unique case.
Additionally, monthly breast conferences occur to discuss treatment plans for breast cancer patients in an interdisciplinary format.
Nobody should have to navigate a cancer diagnosis or treatment alone. At LewisGale Medical Center, we offer cancer support resources for patients and their families.
We encourage patients, their families and caregivers to attend a support group, meet with a social worker, receive cancer and nutritional counseling and use other support and recovery resources. These services can help speed recovery, decrease the length of hospital stays and help manage chronic conditions.
Our cancer support services include:
- Assistance with medical insurance and bill payment issues
- Cancer counseling for individuals, couples, family members and friends
- Community-based support resources, including home care and free cancer screenings
- Nutritional counseling
- Lymphedema (swelling and fluid retention) care
- Outpatient cancer education programs
- Rehabilitation services and exercise programs
- Spiritual guidance through nondenominational faith leaders
- Strategies for managing emotions, pain and fatigue
- Support groups for men, women, breast cancer patients and others
We're here to help you make the most of life after cancer. We help you transition back to your everyday life, your work and your family. To do this, we help you learn to adapt to the changes in your energy level and stamina, nutrition, medications and potential lymphedema. Our classes, support groups, educational resources and survivor events all help restore your quality of life.
Members of our oncology program work together to help you develop a plan for your ongoing health. Your life may return to the way it was before your cancer diagnosis and treatment. Or, if you're facing a new normal encompassing concerns about your physical and emotional health or finances, planning for your future helps you move forward productively.
Getting to our cancer center
The Infusion and Radiation centers are located at 1900 Electric Road, Salem. Look for the Sarah Cannon entrance at the front of the hospital. If you make appointments with medical oncology, genetics, or other services, you will be directed to the appropriate location.
Scheduling an appointment
To schedule an appointment, you must first have a referral from a physician. To schedule, please call:
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
As part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare, our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally trusted care with the support of a globally recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially trained nurses are available 24/7 and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (540) 795-6161 or chat online at askSARAH.
Oncology at HCA Virginia
Oncology refers to the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Oncology treatments may include chemotherapy, radiation, medication or surgery. Oncologists can specialize in one of three fields of oncology: medical, radiation or surgery.Learn about Oncology
- Chippenham Hospital
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- LewisGale Hospital Alleghany
- LewisGale Hospital Montgomery
- LewisGale Hospital Pulaski
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Reston Hospital Center
- Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute At Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Johnston Willis
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center