Labor and delivery hospital in Roanoke, Virginia
If you're preparing to welcome a new baby to your family, you need compassionate and skilled maternity care. At LewisGale Medical Center in Salem, Virginia, our labor and delivery team provides comprehensive childbirth services and compassionate care. We are committed to giving you the birthing experience you want with healthy outcomes for both you and your newborn.
To learn more about the maternity services at our birthing center, please call (540) 776-4831.
Trusted childbirth services close to home
When you deliver your child at LewisGale Medical Center, you receive expert care in a warm, welcoming environment. Families in Virginia's Roanoke Valley choose us for:
- A tradition of physicians dedicated to providing expert care to families since 1909. Our experienced caregivers — including obstetricians, gynecologists, perinatologists, neonatologists, nurse practitioners and anesthesiologists — work together to ensure a safe, smooth delivery.
- Unmatched attention. We offer a one-to-one, patient-to-nurse ratio during labor and delivery, meaning you have constant, expert support during childbirth.
- Support of your preferences. You know your body best, and we trust your instincts. Our goal is to provide you with a comfortable, joyful labor and delivery experience. We also welcome and support private doula care.
- Safety for you and your baby. Our labor and delivery unit is equipped with enhanced security features, including footprint technology.
- Healthcare providers committed to total health and wellness. Moms also need to care for themselves. We offer women's care for every stage of life, from gynecologic services to breast imaging.
What to expect at our birthing center
When it's time to meet your little one, our baby will be born in a soothing, state-of-the-art birthing suite that supports intimacy and bonding right after birth. Our spa-like birthing rooms allow you to labor your way, with the aid of your caregiver or chosen support person. When possible, new moms do not change rooms following delivery — you stay in the same space to recover and get to know your baby.
Other features and amenities of our birth center include:
- Sleep accommodations and complimentary room service meals during labor for your chosen support person, so you never have to be alone
- Private in-room bathrooms with hydrotherapy options for additional comfort
- A tranquil environment with low lighting and peanut balls available to help during childbirth
- Advanced obstetric technology and resources, including an anesthesiologist and dedicated operating rooms nearby for planned, unplanned or emergency cesarean sections
- Rooming-in and nursery privileges
- Postpartum care, including round-the-clock breastfeeding support and postpartum depression screening, after delivery and even after you transition home
- Medical team available 24/7 for all your needs
If your baby needs additional care after birth, we work closely with other hospitals for access to neonatal intensive care services.
Birthing center tours and breastfeeding classes
To ensure we are the best facility for you, we offer maternity unit tours to give soon-to-be parents a first-hand opportunity to learn more about our birthing center and what to expect when delivering at our hospital. In addition, we offer breastfeeding classes to help you have a successful breastfeeding experience.
For more information about classes and tours offered by our labor and delivery team, please call our Consult-A-Nurse® line at (877) 242-2362.
Through LewisGale Physicians Midwifery, our team is committed to providing a safe, high-quality environment supported by obstetrician-gynecologists (OB/GYNs) for women who desire less medical intervention during low-risk pregnancies. Additionally, our midwife team offers prenatal care, lactation services, gynecologic and well-woman exams through compassionate, evidence-based care.
For more information or to schedule an appointment with the nurse midwives team, call (540) 772-3650.
We know how important it is to document such a special moment in your life. This is why we partner with Mom365 to offer professional photography of your newborn. Mom365 offers photography packages as well as an online portal to view your portraits.
Getting to our labor and delivery unit
We are located on the second floor of LewisGale Medical Center. You may park in the main parking lot or parking garage. Free valet services are also available. We offer a private entrance so you can check in directly with our labor and delivery team.
Labor and delivery at HCA Virginia
Just as every baby is unique, so is every delivery. As your partner in care, we provide a customized birthing experience that begins long before your first contraction and continues well after delivery.Learn about Labor and delivery
- Chippenham Hospital
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- LewisGale Hospital Montgomery
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Reston Hospital Center
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center