Cardiovascular care in Salem, Virginia
When you need high-quality heart and vascular care, you can count on the cardiology team at LewisGale Medical Center in Salem, Virginia. Our cardiologists and vascular specialists diagnose and treat a wide range of conditions affecting the heart and blood vessels and offer a variety of procedures and services designed to strengthen and maintain your cardiovascular health.
To learn more about our hear and vascular services or to find a cardiovascular specialist, please call our Consult-A-Nurse® line at (877) 242-2362.
LewisGale Medical Center is an Accredited Chest Pain Center by the American College of Cardiology, meaning we are dedicated to meeting stringent guidelines in providing fast, effective heart attack treatment to our patients.
We are also proud to be a Certified Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission in collaboration with the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Our stroke treatment program offers rapid testing and administration of clot-busting medication to save lives.
Comprehensive heart and vascular services
Our cardiologists and vascular specialists treat a wide range of conditions and provide a full spectrum of care, from diagnosis and treatment to rehabilitation and recovery. So, when you need cardiac care, you can trust us with your heart.
Our team of heart specialists is equipped to provide comprehensive treatment for a wide range of heart-related conditions, including:
- Acute coronary syndrome
- Aortic aneurysm
- Aortic dissection (excluding Type A)
- Aortic stenosis
- Cerebrovascular accident (stroke)
- Chest pain (angina)
- Congenital heart disease
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart arrhythmias, including atrial fibrillation
- Heart attack
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Peripheral vascular diseases, including peripheral artery disease (PAD)
- Respiratory conditions
- Valve disease
- Varicose veins
- Ventricular arrhythmia
Heart screening and imaging
Our advanced imaging lab provides our specialists with a wide range of diagnostic and electrophysiology options to help identify various heart conditions. Our suite of imaging services includes:
- Echocardiogram (ECHO) — uses ultrasound imaging to identify heart disease through a visual assessment of current heartbeats and pumping function
- Electrocardiogram (EKG) — measures the heart's electrical activity in order to identify abnormal rhythms, causes of chest pain or the effectiveness of a pacemaker
- Holter monitoring — device attached to the chest that creates a detailed record of a patient's heartbeats to identify any irregularities
- Multidetector cardiac computerized tomography scan (MDCT) — uses X-rays to view the heart at any angle for a more detailed analysis that can be required when an ECHO or EKG proves insufficient
Many of our heart diagnostic procedures are noninvasive, meaning they involve procedures or tools that do not break the skin or physically enter the body. Advances in technology continue to extend the range of noninvasive resources that contribute to effective heart care.
In addition to cardiac care, LewisGale Regional Health System provides precise, expert vascular care. Vascular care focuses on conditions and diseases affecting the veins and arteries. Common vascular conditions may include atherosclerosis, varicose veins and peripheral artery disease.
We are equipped to provide a wide range of heart and vascular surgical services, from interventional procedures to complex heart surgeries. Should your condition require surgery, our team will be with you and your family every step of the way to ensure you feel secure and well-informed. Our suite of surgical services includes:
- Abdominal aortic/endovascular aneurysm repair
- Cardiac ablation
- Cardiac-assist device implantation (pacemaker and ICD)
- Cardiothoracic surgery (lung)
- Carotid artery surgery
- Coronary artery bypass (minimally invasive and off-pump)
- Diagnostic catheterization
- Heart valve repair and replacement
- Percutaneous coronary intervention
- Peripheral artery bypass
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement
- VNUS closure procedure for varicose veins
After surgery, our healthcare professionals and support staff provide skilled care in a healing environment at our inpatient cardiac surgical intensive care unit.
Our customized cardiac rehabilitation programs help get you back to healthy living after a heart event or diagnosis. You have access to exercise equipment and guidance by expert physiologists and specialists to help you create individualized exercise and nutrition plans, recognize symptoms of heart disease and reduce risk factors.
During cardiac rehab, our team of nurses and specialists will monitor your heart while you perform exercises on equipment, such as:
- Arm ergometer
- Free weights
- Recumbent bike
- Rowing machine
- Stationary bike
- Wall pulley
Every patient is referred, evaluated and cleared by a specialist. The specialist will communicate with the patient's primary care physician or cardiologist, who will sign off on a release from the program.
Heart health education
We offer a broad range of sophisticated, free and low-cost awareness programs, including employer programs to help employees learn risk factors, warning signs and treatment options for heart disease. Our facilities also provide resources to help you manage all aspects of heart disease.
Getting to your cardiology appointment
The cardiology department is located at 1802 Braeburn Drive in Salem, Virginia, at the Medical Office Building East.
Once you arrive, you may park in the lot located outside of the building. We also offer free valet services. After you enter the building, take elevator B to the third floor.
Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:00pm. If you would like to schedule a cardiology appointment, please call (540) 772-3400.
Cardiology at HCA Virginia
Cardiology is the medical treatment of the heart and parts of the circulatory system as they relate to the heart. Cardiologists specialize in diagnosing and treating conditions related to the cardiovascular system.Learn about Cardiology
- Chippenham Hospital
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- LewisGale Hospital Alleghany
- LewisGale Hospital Montgomery
- LewisGale Hospital Pulaski
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Parham Doctors’ Hospital
- Reston Hospital Center
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center