Advanced breast care in Salem, Virginia
With breast cancer being the second most common type of cancer affecting women, it's important to be proactive when it comes to your breast health.
The team of breast specialists at LewisGale Breast Center, located inside LewisGale Medical Center, is here for you with a range of services designed to detect breast cancer as early as possible while providing maximum ongoing support, including high-risk screenings and, when needed, breast cancer surgery.
For more information about our breast health services or to make an appointment, please call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (877) 242-2362.
LewisGale Hospital Medical Center is a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence accredited by the American College of Radiology (ACR). ACR also recognizes our advanced work in breast ultrasound and stereotactic breast biopsies with accreditations. These designations assure our patients that our dedication to improving women's health has been validated through participation in rigorous quality assurance programs.
Our breast health services
LewisGale Breast Center utilizes a variety of breast imaging and diagnostic services, including:
- 3D mammography — 3D mammograms combine multiple breast X-rays to create three-dimensional pictures. These imaging tests are preferable to traditional mammograms because of their ability to detect more cancers. These exams are particularly useful in examining breast pain, masses and other issues.
- Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) — Breast MRI involves radio waves and magnets, rather than radiation, to make detailed pictures of the inside of the breast. This test examines the breast from numerous angles, providing extensive images of potential abnormalities that cannot be seen using other tests.
- Cyst aspiration — During this type of procedure, fluid is drained from a breast cyst. Draining fluid this way can help alleviate symptoms, and the cyst fluid can be analyzed on the spot. This procedure can be illuminating in the early detection of cancer if the cyst turns out to be malignant.
- Stereotactic breast biopsy — This procedure involves the removal and analysis of potentially cancerous tissues under a microscope. After the breast is placed between two plates, a sample is removed from the determined location via a needle. Stereotactic biopsies are typically preferred to surgical biopsies.
- Ultrasound (breast) — This noninvasive exam uses sound waves to create real-time images used to diagnose lumps and other abnormalities found during physical exams or mammograms. Ultrasounds can also show certain abnormalities that mammograms cannot.
- Ultrasound core needle biopsy — This procedure is often performed after breast cancer has been previously detected. Using an ultrasound to locate the problem area, a radiologist will apply local anesthesia and then make a small incision, inserting a spring-loaded suction needle to remove breast tissue.
- Breast cancer surgery — If you are diagnosed with breast cancer, your physician may need to perform surgery to remove cancerous tissues and cancer spread to lymph nodes. Breast cancer surgeries are either lumpectomies, where only the cancerous part of the breast is removed, or a mastectomies, where the entire breast is removed. In either case, postoperative breast reconstruction is a viable surgical option.
Our women's imaging center also offers bone density testing, which is a diagnostic screening that helps diagnose osteoporosis through measuring calcium and bone mineral levels. These levels determine the overall strength of your bones, and if you have breast cancer, you will need to be sure that your bones remain healthy, lest you develop cancer-related osteoporosis.
Schedule a mammogram today
To get started on the road to improved breast health, call us at (540) 776-4983 or select the button below to schedule an appointment online.
Breast health at HCA Virginia
From regular checkups and screenings to the latest imaging technologies and treatments, you can access all our expert breast care services at our convenient location.Learn about Breast health
- Appomattox Imaging Center
- Chippenham Hospital
- Hanover Emergency Center
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- Independence Park Imaging Center
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- LewisGale Breast Center
- LewisGale Hospital Alleghany
- LewisGale Hospital Montgomery
- LewisGale Hospital Pulaski
- LewisGale Imaging Center - Brambleton
- LewisGale Imaging Center - Daleville
- LewisGale Imaging Center - Montgomery
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Reston Hospital Center
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center
- Women's Imaging Center