Physical rehabilitation center in Salem, Virginia
At Lewis Gale Medical Center, we offer leading-edge physical rehabilitation services for patients in the Salem/Roanoke metro area who are recovering from a wide range of injuries and conditions. Our team delivers personalized inpatient and outpatient care.
Physical therapy and rehabilitation at Lewis Gale Medical Center is comprehensive and involves education, training and support every step of the way. Patients continuously choose our providers and give us high ratings in satisfaction for our:
- Advanced care with a personal touch —Because our program is hospital-based, you benefit from a therapy or exercise program tailored to your specific health needs.
- Individualized treatment plans — We offer dynamic, customized and one-on-one evaluation, training, rehabilitation, physical therapy and performance enhancement programs.
- Certified therapists working for you — Our therapists are highly skilled and certified in a variety of rehabilitation specialties, including hand therapy, stroke rehabilitation, lymphedema therapy, speech/language pathology and more.
Our therapy and rehab programs
We provide a comprehensive list of programs designed to treat a wide range of conditions and offer services that include:
- Cardiac rehabilitation— focuses on education, risk reduction and exercises for patients with coronary artery disease, heart failure and other chronic heart diseases
rehab— aims to restore activity and independence for patients experiencing
neurological disorders or recovering from stroke. Our therapy team is specialized in utilizing neuro-plasticity
principles aiming to restore function after neurological incident and adaptation/compensation when necessary.
Our comprehensive neuro rehabilitation program is the only of its kind in Southwest
- Includes a neurologic and low-vision therapy-based program to vision-related problems stemming from neurological conditions
- Occupational therapy (OT)— helps facilitate participation and independence with daily activities, such as self care, return to work, leisure pursuits, etc.
- Includes hand therapy under guidance of certified hand therapist (CHT)
- Physical therapy (PT)— used to protect, strengthen or restore muscle and motor functions
- Pulmonary rehabilitation— provides education and therapy to improve lung function for patients with pulmonary and respiratory conditions
- Speech/language therapy— treats and helps prevent disorders related to speech, language, cognitive-communication, voice and swallowing
- Swallowing therapy— helps manage difficulty or discomfort in swallowing due to dysphagia
- Vestibular therapy— aims to decrease or eliminate symptoms such as dizziness, vertigo or imbalance for patients with disorders of the vestibular system
Outpatient rehabilitation services
We offer the following services through our outpatient rehabilitation clinic clinic located on the lobby level of medical office building-east attached to Lewis Gale Medical Center:
- Physical therapy (PT)
- Occupational therapy (OT), including hand therapy with a hand specialist
- Speech therapy (SLP)
- Neurological rehabilitation program (PT, OT, SLP)
Outpatient therapy locations and appointments
For outpatient rehabilitation, visit 1802 Braeburn Drive in Salem, Virginia located on the lobby level of medical office building-east attached to Lewis Gale Medical Center. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm. We take physician referrals faxed to (540) 725-4565, and you can also book an appointment directly by calling (540) 772-3770.
Inpatient rehabilitation services
The Inpatient Rehabilitation Center at Lewis Gale Medical Center is Southwest Virginia’s premier location for inpatient rehabilitation. Our 36-bed unit is located on the fourth floor of the main hospital and includes all private rooms.
Each room in the unit has a walk-in shower, grab bars and adaptive equipment for toileting and grooming, including sinks and toilets that comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Features of our inpatient rehabilitation program
The inpatient rehabilitation program provides one-on-one treatment and comprehensive services, including:
- Anti-gravity mobility training
- Cognitive assessment and treatment
- Constraint-induced therapy
- Family and caregiver education and training
- Inpatient rehabilitation therapy gym
- Lymphedema therapy
- Nutrition counseling
- Pain management
- Spasticity management
- Wound care
Our rehabilitation professionals offer 24-hour inpatient therapeutic care to patients who need intense, acute therapy and nursing care in a setting that provides convenient access to the full range of services our hospital provides.
Inpatient rehab is often part of a treatment plan for patients recovering from conditions and injuries such as amputation, brain or spinal cord injuries, stroke, cancer, orthopedic surgery and multiple sclerosis.
Patients receiving inpatient rehabilitation improve faster and can return home sooner than patients in other treatment settings
Easy Street: A real-world rehab environment in Salem, Virginia
We are proud to offer Easy Street, the only real-world rehab environment in Southwest Virginia. Easy Street allows patients recovering from a brain injury, stroke, neurological condition or orthopedic injury to practice everyday scenarios.
Our simulation room allows patients to experience normal daily activities, such as shopping for groceries, walking up steps and using an ATM, in a safe and supervised setting. This is one of the many ways our inpatient therapy team helps our patients transition back into the real world.
- Chippenham Hospital
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Parham Doctors’ Hospital
- Reston Hospital Center
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center