Physical rehabilitation center in Salem, Virginia
At LewisGale Medical Center, we offer leading-edge physical rehabilitation services for patients in the Salem/Roanoke metro area who are recovering from a wide range of injuries and conditions. Our team delivers personalized inpatient and outpatient care, and we offer Southwest Virginia's only real-world rehabilitation environment.
For more information about our rehab programs, call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (877) 242-2362.
Advanced physical therapy close to home
Physical therapy and rehabilitation at LewisGale Medical Center is comprehensive and involves education, training and support every step of the way. Patients continuously choose our providers and give us high ratings in satisfaction for our:
- Advanced care with a personal touch —Because our program is hospital-based, you benefit from a therapy or exercise program tailored to your specific health needs.
- Individualized treatment plans — We offer dynamic, customized and one-on-one evaluation, training, rehabilitation, physical therapy and performance enhancement programs.
- Certified therapists working for you — Our therapists are highly skilled and certified in a variety of rehabilitation specialties, including hand therapy, lymphedema therapy, speech/language pathology and more.
Our therapy and rehab programs
We provide a comprehensive list of programs designed to treat a wide range of conditions and offer services that include:
- Cardiac rehabilitation — focuses on education, risk reduction and exercises for patients with coronary artery disease, heart failure and other chronic heart diseases
- Lymphedema therapy — uses certified programs and medical-assistive devices to help restore function, reduce pain and reduce risk of infection
- Neurological rehab — aims to restore activity and independence for patients experiencing neurological disorders or recovering from stroke
- Includes a neurologic and low-vision therapy-based program to vision-related problems stemming from neurological conditions
- Occupational therapy (OT) — helps facilitate daily activities, such as bathing, dressing, eating and home management
- Pelvic rehabilitation — improves bladder control in men and women with personalized treatments, such as electrical stimulation, exercise and education
- Physical therapy (PT) — used to protect, strengthen or restore muscle and motor functions
- Pulmonary rehabilitation — provides education and therapy to improve lung function for patients with pulmonary and respiratory conditions
- Speech/language therapy — treats and helps prevent disorders related to speech, language, cognitive-communication, voice and swallowing in both pediatric and adult patients
- Swallowing therapy — helps manage difficulty or discomfort in swallowing due to dysphagia
- Vestibular therapy — aims to decrease or eliminate symptoms such as dizziness, vertigo or imbalance for patients with disorders of the vestibular system
Inpatient rehabilitation services
Our rehabilitation professionals offer 24-hour inpatient therapeutic care to patients who need intense, acute therapy and nursing care in a setting that provides convenient access to the full range of services our hospital provides.
Inpatient rehab is often part of a treatment plan for patients recovering from conditions and injuries such as amputation, brain or spinal cord injuries, stroke, cancer, orthopedic surgery and multiple sclerosis.
Patients receiving inpatient rehabilitation improve faster and can return home sooner than patients in other treatment settings
Easy Street: A real-world rehab environment in Salem, Virginia
We are proud to offer Easy Street, the only real-world rehab environment in Southwest Virginia. Easy Street allows patients recovering from a brain injury, stroke, neurological condition or orthopedic injury to practice everyday scenarios.
Our simulation room allows patients to experience normal daily activities, such as shopping for groceries, walking up steps and using an ATM, in a safe and supervised setting. This is one of the many ways our inpatient therapy team helps our patients transition back into the real world.
Inpatient rehabilitation admissions
To determine if a patient qualifies for inpatient rehabilitation, a physiatrist and/or clinical rehabilitation specialist will conduct a thorough patient evaluation.
In general, a patient must require:
- 24-hour availability of a physician trained in rehabilitation medicine
- 24-hour rehab-trained nursing staff
- Three hours of acute rehab therapy
Outpatient rehabilitation services
We also offer outpatient physical therapy and rehabilitation services in our clinic located right across the street from LewisGale Medical Center. We offer the following services:
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy, including hand therapy with a hand specialist
- Speech therapy
Outpatient therapy locations and appointments
For outpatient rehabilitation, visit 1802 Braeburn Drive in Salem, Virginia. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm. We take physician referrals, and you can also book an appointment directly by calling (540) 776-3700.
- Chippenham Hospital
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Parham Doctors’ Hospital
- Reston Hospital Center
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center