For more than a century, LewisGale Medical Center has delivered the highest quality healthcare to residents of Southwest Virginia from our location in the Salem/Roanoke metro area. We provide the full scope of healthcare services you expect to find at a regional referral center.
Why Choose LewisGale Medical Center
We specialize in heart and vascular care — including the latest advanced technology available through our designated Heart Center — as well as orthopedics and spine care, services for mental and behavioral health and cancer care. To help us detect early-stage lung cancer, we were the first in Western Virginia to offer the superDimension® i∙Logic™ System as an option for patients who may have lesions deep within the lungs.
Recognized for Quality Care
LewisGale Medical Center has received recognition from several leading healthcare organizations, including designation as a Primary Stroke Center and as an accredited Chest Pain Center, due to our ability to meet stringent standards of care and provide optimal outcomes for our patients. Learn more about our awards and accreditations.
Just after the turn of the 20th century, Drs. Lewis and Gale opened the doors in nearby Roanoke on a technologically advanced, modern hospital—exceptional for its launch in 1909—complete with running water and central heating.
Through the years, we’ve continued the Lewis and Gale tradition of partnering with exceptional medical professionals and employing the latest medical technology to deliver unsurpassed levels of patient care and optimum results.
Expanding to Provide Comprehensive Medical Services
In 1972, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) purchased Lewis and Gale’s hospital and built a 37-bed facility. During the intervening years, LewisGale Medical Center grew rapidly. With the 1996 addition of the Roanoke Valley Psychiatric Center — now known as LewisGale Behavioral Health Services — our facility is currently licensed for 506 beds and serves as a regional referral center for comprehensive medical services.
Forming New Partnerships
When HCA acquired the former LewisGale Clinic located next to the hospital, a new organization — LewisGale Physicians — was formed. Today, the medical center, LewisGale Physicians and hundreds of independent physicians work together to extend many advantages for patient care and treatment while providing the high level of healthcare our communities expect and deserve.
Delivering Compassionate Care
In addition to offering a variety of specialty services and an exceptional level of skill by our physicians, nurses and other staff members, the LewisGale healthcare family has long been best known for compassion, dedication and friendliness. We’re committed to excellence and believe that top-quality healthcare is best delivered through team effort in a safe, professional and service-oriented environment.
Meeting Patient Needs
As one of the largest medical centers in Virginia, LewisGale Medical Center offers a broad spectrum of healthcare services to meet the ever-changing needs of our patients, their families and all residents of the region.
Our Leadership Team
- Alan Fabian, Chief Executive Officer
- Angela Reynolds, Chief Financial Officer
- Carnell Cooper, MD, Chief Medical Officer
- Amy Woods, Chief Nursing Officer
- Willie Payton, Jr., Chief Operating Officer
LewisGale Medical Center Board
- Marilyn Herbert-Ashton, Vice President of Institutional Advancement & The Dean of Nursing Virginia Western Community College
- Compton M. Biddle, (Vice Chair), Attorney Partner, OPN Law
- John Carlin, Anchor, WSLS10
- Alan Fabian (Board Secretary), Market President, LewisGale Medical Center
- Jane Johnson, Owner, R.M. Johnson & Sons Jewelers
- Lee Meyers, MD, Gastroenterologist, Gastroenterology Consultants of Southwest Virginia & Endoscopy Center of Southwest Virginia
- James (Jim) McAden, (Chair), President, Balzer & Associates
- Harsukh Patolia, MD, Internal Medicine, Chief of Medical Staff, LewisGale Medical Center
- April Staton, Sheriff, City of Salem