Prostate cancer specialists in Virginia
The Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HCA Virginia hospitals offer a wide range of treatment options for patients with prostate cancer. Our goal is to use the least invasive and most advanced therapies to help patients heal.
For more information about cancer diagnostics, treatments and other services, call askSARAH at (804) 591-4152.
Comprehensive prostate cancer care
Through our full-service oncology program, we offer a range of services relating to the diagnosis and treatment of prostate cancer, including:
- A multidisciplinary team approach
- Access to clinical trials
- Advanced minimally invasive surgical options, including robotic surgery
- Advanced laboratory technology for measuring blood counts
- American Cancer Society Resource Center
- Genetic counseling and testing for high-risk patients
- Nurse navigation, upon request
- Support from oncology-dedicated social workers and chaplains
Award-winning prostate cancer treatments
The Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital and Johnston-Willis Hospital offer minimally invasive treatment options for aggressive cases of prostate cancer. Our goal is to help you return to an active and productive lifestyle. In recognition of our dedication to that goal, Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital has received excellence and five-star awards and has been recognized by Healthgrades as one of America’s 100 Best for Prostate Surgery.
Advanced prostate health screening and program
At Retreat Doctors' Hospital's Center for Urological Health, we offer complete care for all urology conditions and diseases, including prostate cancer. Here, we offer prostate cancer screenings, such as prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood tests and digital rectal exams. This allows us to diagnose and treat prostate conditions and cancer early and effectively.
Prostate cancer signs and symptoms
It is common for patients with prostate cancer to not show any signs, especially until later. This is why it is important to discuss any small changes you notice with your doctor, especially if you experience:
- Blood in the seminal fluid
- Blood in the urine
- Frequent urination or feeling the urge to urinate
- Loss of bladder control
- New onset of erectile dysfunction
- Pain or burning during urination
- Painful ejaculation
Prostate cancer screening
Our doctors know that preventive medicine is the best defense against cancer. We encourage screening tests to detect prostate cancer in men who are 50 years old and older.
Prostate cancer screening options include:
- A digital rectal exam
- Minimally invasive transrectal ultrasound
- Prostate magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test
Prostate cancer treatment options
Treatment plans for prostate cancer can include both surgical and nonsurgical therapies. Our cancer care team provides a wide range of treatment options to ensure you receive the care that is right for you.
Your prostate cancer treatment may include:
- Infusion therapy
- Injection for prostate cancer that has spread to the bones and is resistant to medical and surgical treatments
- Radiation therapy
Prostate cancer surgery
Surgical procedures we use to treat prostate cancer include:
- Prostatectomy This is a surgery to treat prostate cancer involving the partial or complete removal of the prostate through the use of a minimally invasive procedure. However, some cases of prostate cancer may require traditional open surgery.
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) This is a surgery that helps ease or eliminate urinary problems caused by an enlarged prostate. TURP is performed with the help of minimally invasive robotic surgery or by using a laser to remove or destroy the excess tissue causing urine flow problems. Robotic surgery allows your surgeon to operate through tiny incisions, resulting in less scarring and a shorter recovery.
askSarah (804) 591-4152 to speak with a nurse 24/7.
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
As part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare, our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally trusted care with the support of a globally recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially trained nurses are available 24/7, and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (804) 591-4152 or chat online at askSARAHnow.com.