Cancer care centers in Virginia
Together with Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare, HCA Virginia hospitals offer integrated cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people with cancer. Recognized as leaders in cancer care, our experts use evidence-based care to provide you with advanced treatment and continued support throughout your cancer journey.
For more information about cancer diagnostics, treatments and other services, call askSARAH at (804) 591-4152.
Comprehensive cancer care
We understand that receiving a cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming, which is why our goal is to ensure your care and treatment is not. Our multidisciplinary team is dedicated to providing you with comprehensive, compassionate cancer care—from diagnosis through survivorship.
Through our network of accredited oncology programs, we provide a full range of services for preventing, diagnosing and treating cancer. You will also have access to:
- Clinical trials —Clinical research trials are conducted by our oncologists and are aimed at finding additional, innovative ways to treat cancer.
- Expertise in support—We provide full support from oncology-dedicated psychosocial specialists, nutritionists and chaplains, as well as access to physical rehabilitation services and peer support groups.
- Specialized care—We are one of the only community health systems with clinics dedicated to particular types of cancer, including brain, breast, colorectal, gastrointestinal, gynecologic, lung and thoracic, prostate and skin cancers.
- State-of-the-art facilities—We provide multiple locations for screening and diagnosis, surgery, radiation and acute care services throughout Virginia.
Comprehensive cancer care team
Our comprehensive cancer care team includes:
- Dermatologists, gastroenterologists, gynecologists, pulmonologists and other physicians
- Financial and legal counselors
- Medical, surgical and radiation oncologists
- Oncology-certified nurses
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Plastic/reconstructive surgeons
- Social workers
Oncology nurse navigators
Nurse navigators are members of your multidisciplinary care team, serving as advocates and educators for you from diagnosis through survivorship. Our nurse navigators help coordinate your care and address any barriers you may face to support you throughout your cancer journey.
Our nurse navigators:
- Connect you to resources available throughout your cancer journey
- Help you understand your diagnosis, treatment plans and medications
- Improve communication between the healthcare team and host multidisciplinary cancer conferences to ensure that you receive a personalized treatment plan
- Provide education around treatment options and clinical trial availability
Cancers we treat
Our oncology experts are experienced in treating a wide range of cancers, including:
- Blood cancer
- Brain cancer
- Breast cancer
- Gastrointestinal cancer
- Gynecologic cancer
- Head and neck cancers
- Lung cancer
- Metastatic cancer
- Prostate and genitourinary cancers
- Skin cancer
- Thoracic cancer
- Thyroid cancer
Head and neck cancers
Head and neck cancers affect the mouth, nose, sinuses and throat. Our hospitals offer a multidisciplinary approach for surgery, chemotherapy and radiation services aimed at treating head and neck cancers.
Metastatic cancer is a type of cancer that starts in one part of the body and metastasizes, or spreads, to another part of the body. Our doctors develop personalized treatment plans to balance your and your family’s goals with the latest clinical expertise. Our metastatic cancer program gives you full access to clinical trials and advanced treatments for the liver and brain for cancer metastasis.
Skin cancer is a type of cancer that can affect multiple layers of the skin. Our specially trained experts use advanced diagnostic and treatment techniques to care for all types of skin cancer, including melanoma.
Thyroid cancer affects the thyroid gland. The specially trained experts at our hospitals use evidence-based care to treat thyroid cancer.
Treatments we offer
To ensure you receive individualized care that is right for your unique situation, we offer a wide range of treatments.
Chemotherapy, a type of infusion therapy, is a drug-based treatment that uses powerful medicine to kill fast-growing cancer cells. Chemotherapy is a common treatment for many patients with cancer.
Radiation therapy is an advanced cancer treatment that uses high-energy X-rays to destroy cancer cells. This form of treatment, a part of many patients’ care plans, works well when used with surgery and chemotherapy.
If you have lymphedema, which occurs when lymph fluid builds up in the arms or legs, we can help. Our certified lymphedema specialists and therapists evaluate your condition and use a variety of therapeutic techniques to treat it. They can help control swelling and develop long-term management strategies that are right for you.
Interventional oncology is used to help patients whose cancer cannot be surgically removed or effectively treated with chemotherapy. Treatment options include radiofrequency ablation (RFA) (killing the tumor with heat) and cryoablation (destroying cancer cells with cold temperatures).
Some of our interventional oncology procedures include:
- Complex biopsies
- Drug-eluting bead embolization
- Tumor ablation
- Tumor embolization
- Intra-arterial yttrium-90 radioembolization
When cancer is detected, one option for treatment is the surgical removal of the tumor. If the decision is made to proceed with surgery, our doctors specialize in the removal of many types of cancer and use minimally invasive surgical techniques whenever possible.
askSarah (804) 591-4152 to speak with a nurse 24/7.
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
As part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare, our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally trusted care with the support of a globally recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially trained nurses are available 24/7, and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (804) 591-4152 or chat online at askSARAHnow.com.