Pregnancy care in Virginia
Preparing to have a baby is an incredibly exciting—and sometimes overwhelming—time in your life. The experienced obstetricians (OBs) and obstetrician gynecologists (OB/GYNs) at HCA Virginia's hospitals are committed to providing expert maternity care and guidance throughout your pregnancy—from preconception to after delivery.
For more information about our prenatal care services or for help finding an obstetrician, call our free, 24/7 Consult-A-Nurse® line.
Our preconception services
We understand every journey to conception is unique. To help you with your family planning, we offer preconception counseling. With this, we evaluate any risk factors, health conditions or previous pregnancy complications that could affect your baby.
Additionally, our fertility doctors can help you determine if infertility is prohibiting conception. If infertility is a factor, we offer minimally invasive surgery, ovulation induction and male-factor fertility services.
Our prenatal care services
Our hospitals provide maternity services to help you stay healthy and care for yourself and your newborn with confidence.
Some of our services include:
- Birth center tours: We offer guided tours of our maternity units, so you know what to expect and can ask questions ahead of time.
- Genetic counseling: We can help determine your chance of having a complicated pregnancy or genetic concerns that may affect your family-planning options.
- High-risk pregnancy care: Our maternal-fetal medicine doctors specialize in high-risk pregnancy care. They take care of women who are carrying multiples, have certain medical conditions or have had previous problems during pregnancy or delivery.
- Maternal addiction programs: We provide maternal addiction programs at Chippenham Hospital and Henrico Doctors' Hospital to address substance use and help you manage your pregnancy. These day-treatment programs involve receiving behavioral health services several hours of the day, then returning to your own home in the evening.
- Maternity classes: We offer a wide range of maternity classes, covering topics such as labor and delivery, breastfeeding, nutrition and baby care, to help you prepare for your new baby’s arrival.
- Midwifery care: Some of our hospitals offer midwifery care for women interested in a low-intervention pregnancy and birth experience.
- Personalized birth planning: You can choose from an array of childbirth services tailored to your needs at our hospitals. This includes birth options such as natural pain management, wireless fetal monitoring and delayed umbilical cord clamping.
Prenatal care visits
Getting proper prenatal care is important during pregnancy. Regular visits with your prenatal care doctor ensure both you and your baby are on track with development. These appointments also allow your doctor to monitor your baby’s health and give you a chance to ask questions to help you prepare for labor and delivery.
During these visits, your weight and blood pressure will be checked, and a urine sample will be taken. Your baby’s heart rate may also be checked. Your doctor will then tell you what changes to expect before your next visit.
Additionally, at specific points during your pregnancy, a blood sample will be taken for analysis. Your OB/GYN will also sometimes perform ultrasounds to get a better sense of how your baby is developing.
Prenatal care appointment schedule
The frequency of your prenatal visits increases as your due date gets closer. The recommended schedule of prenatal appointments is:
- Weeks four-28: once per month
- Weeks 29-36: every two weeks
- Weeks 36-40: every week