High-risk pregnancy doctors in Virginia
HCA Virginia's maternal-fetal medicine specialists, or perinatologists, specialize in high-risk pregnancy care. Whether you need preconception counseling to discuss your risk factors or have a known medical condition that requires careful monitoring during pregnancy, our doctors are here for you. We offer a wide range of high-risk pregnancy services to help ensure a healthy pregnancy and birth experience for both you and your baby.
For more information about our high-risk pregnancy services or for help finding a doctor, call our free, 24/7 Consult-A-Nurse line.
When a pregnancy is high-risk
A pregnancy is considered high risk if you and/or your baby have a higher chance of experiencing complications. These complications can be related to medical or genetic factors, and they may occur during pregnancy, during labor or after delivery.
High-risk pregnancy conditions we treat
Our specialists care for women with many high-risk pregnancy health conditions, including:
- Carrying multiples, such as twins or triplets
- Fetal growth or development concerns
- History of miscarriage or other pregnancy complications
- Medical problems that develop during pregnancy, such as gestational diabetes or preeclampsia
- Personal or family history of birth abnormalities
- Personal or family history of genetic conditions
- Placenta problems, including placenta previa, placenta accreta or placental abruption
- Preexisting medical conditions, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, asthma, heart disease, epilepsy or lupus
- Substance abuse during pregnancy
Specialty programs for maternal addiction
We provide special maternal addiction programs at Chippenham Hospital and Henrico Doctors' Hospital to address substance use and help you manage your pregnancy. We treat women of all ages in a nonjudgmental environment where respect, honesty and diversity are valued.
Our maternal addiction programs involve partial-hospitalization (also known as a day-treatment program). You receive medical and behavioral health services several hours a day, up to five days a week, and return to your own home in the evening.
Comprehensive perinatology services
Our maternal-fetal medicine doctors provide a broad range of maternal-fetal services, including:
- Preconception counseling: This service is available to individuals or couples who have concerns about getting pregnant or having a healthy baby. We can counsel you on risk factors, such as advanced age, fertility issues, preexisting medical conditions or a family history of genetic conditions.
- Genetic testing and counseling: If you select to have genetic testing, we will thoroughly discuss your results and any possible risks to your baby. We will also explain the benefits and risks of fetal testing.
- Prenatal ultrasounds: We use advanced ultrasound imaging to closely monitor your baby’s growth and development at your prenatal care visits.
- Fetal diagnostic procedures: We offer tests to screen for birth abnormalities and inherited conditions. These tests include amniocentesis, nuchal translucency screening and chorionic villus sampling.
- Postpartum (antepartum) care: If you need to be hospitalized during your pregnancy, you will stay in one of our antepartum rooms. We do everything we can to make your stay here as comfortable as possible, for as long as we need to monitor your health and your baby.
- Delivery planning: Your doctor will work closely with our maternity team to help ensure a smooth, safe labor and delivery—and to prepare for any medical care you or your baby may need immediately after birth.
Neonatal intensive care
If you experience a high-risk pregnancy, it's possible we may need to monitor or care for your baby in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) after birth. Our hospitals are equipped with Level III NICUs where our doctors and nurses provide 24/7, advanced neonatal care.
On-site high-risk pregnancy consultants and specialists
We are proud to offer personalized medical consultation services for women with high-risk pregnancies at Commonwealth Perinatal Services, located at Henrico Doctors' Hospital and The Perinatal Center at Johnston-Willis Hospital. Here, our team of specialists works closely with your obstetrician to understand your condition and unique medical history. Together, they will establish your treatment and ongoing needs to ensure you and your baby get the high-quality care you need and deserve.