Blood cancer specialists in Virginia
The Sarah Cannon Institute at HCA Virginia hospitals offer advanced treatment for many types of blood cancers and blood disorders. We provide individualized care from a team of cancer specialists and hematologists. This team is here to support you through every step of your cancer journey, from diagnosis to recovery.
For more information about cancer diagnostics, treatments and other services, call askSARAH at (804) 591-4152.
Comprehensive blood cancer treatment
Blood cancer refers to any type of cancer that affects the blood, bone marrow and lymphatic system. HCA Virginia is affiliated with the Sarah Cannon Blood Cancer Network and is home to dedicated specialists with expertise in leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and other hematologic malignancies.
When you choose one of our hospitals for your cancer care, you have access to the following:
- A multidisciplinary team approach to care
- Advanced laboratory technology for measuring blood counts
- American Cancer Society Resource Center
- Blood cancer clinical trials
- Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy performed under light sedation for patient comfort
- Fellowship-trained hematopathologists who specialize in diagnosing blood cancers
- Nurse navigation upon request
Blood cancer symptoms
Many patients who are diagnosed with blood cancer may not have symptoms. If a patient does have symptoms, it might be easy to dismiss them as the cause of something minor as many of them can be symptoms of common illnesses.
Be sure to speak with your doctor if you are experiencing:
- Excessive coughing or chest pain
- Fever or chills
- Frequent infections
- Itchy skin or rash
- Loss of appetite
- Night sweats
- Persistent weakness and fatigue
- Shortness of breath
- Swollen ankles
Types of blood cancers and disorders we treat
We offer care for a wide range of blood cancers and disorders, such as:
- Aplastic anemia
- Autoimmune diseases
- Hodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)
- Leukemia, including chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) and chronic myeloid leukemia (CML)
- Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS)
- Myeloma, including multiple myeloma
Blood cancer treatment options
Our team works together to develop customized treatment plans to meet your needs. Your care plan may include:
- Infusion therapy
- Nutritional counseling
- Psychosocial oncology and distress assessment
- Radiation therapy
askSarah (804) 591-4152 to speak with a nurse 24/7.
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
As part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare, our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally trusted care with the support of a globally recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially trained nurses are available 24/7, and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (804) 591-4152 or chat online at askSARAH.