Destination Center for Urological Care
Timely, award-winning care for complex patient referrals in Central Virginia
Refer a Patient
Our urology coordinator can assist in connecting your patients with a qualified urologist at Retreat Doctors’ Hospital.
Retreat Doctors’ Hospital’s Center for Urology is the destination for adult urologic care in Richmond and Central Virginia. Our fellowship-trained, board-certified specialists combine 75 years of expertise and experience with technological innovations – including robotic surgery – to provide advanced care for even the most complex conditions.
- More than 30 subspecialists focus exclusively on specific urological conditions and treatments. You can be confident your patient will be matched with an expert physician who offers the latest treatments and technologies, many not available anywhere else in the state.
- We’ll see your patient within days, not weeks. Your referred patients will receive timely care. No need to wait four weeks or more for an appointment with a urology specialist.
- Volume matters. Studies have shown that high-volume providers have better outcomes. Our physicians perform hundreds of complex urology procedures every year with excellent outcomes.
From the moment your patient arrives at our hospital, they receive care from an expert team of professionals. Our physicians, nurses, and support staff work together to provide outstanding care from pre-op to post-op with the best possible outcomes.
All patients receive pre- and post-surgery education on how to prepare for surgery and what to expect during their hospital stay and recovery. They’ll be registered for the required class during scheduling of their procedure. Patients can call (804) 330-9105 for more information.
You’ll have a dedicated clinical coordinator to keep you informed throughout the process. After treatment, we transition your patient back to your care.
Superior outcomes and nationally recognized care
Retreat Doctors’ Hospital is nationally recognized for expert, compassionate care and superior outcomes. Additionally, our patients routinely rank us among the country’s top performers in terms of patient experience.
- Recognized by Healthgrades 2019 as a Top 100 Hospital and a Center of Excellence for Prostate Surgery.
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Prostate Surgery Excellence Award™ for two years in a row (2018-2019)
- Five-Star Recipient for Prostate Removal Surgery for three years in a row (2017-2019)
- Recipients of the Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award for two years in a row (2017-2019)
- Recipient of Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grades ‘A’ ranking for protecting patients from errors, injuries and infections
We also recognize that our patients’ perception of the care they have received is critical to our success.
- We are proud to have achieved top quartile performance in patient satisfaction for 2016, 2017 and 2018 as measured by CMS’s HCAHPS survey.
- In the important aspects of Communication with Physicians and Communication with Nurses, Retreat is projected to perform in the top 25% of hospitals for 2018.
- We consistently perform at or exceed the standards identified for post-operative infection rates. In fact, we are proud to report zero infection events, CLABSI and CAUTI, for urology surgical cases at Retreat Doctors’ Hospital in 2018.
Richmond’s only robotic surgical Center for Urology
As part of the Virginia Institute of Robotic Surgery, Retreat Doctors’ Hospital specialists perform urological surgery using robotic-assisted technology, which allows for greater precision and control, a 3-D high-definition view of the surgical field, and, in some cases, single-port access. We are the first and only hospital in Virginia to perform urological surgery using single-port robotic-assisted technology with the da Vinci SP, the newest robotic-assisted technology.
Robotic surgery offers patients significant benefits including:
- Smaller and fewer incisions
- Less bleeding
- Less pain
- Lower risk of complications
- Shorter hospital stay
- Faster recovery time
Learn more about robotic surgery at Retreat Doctors’ Hospital’s Center for Urology. Watch video interviews with our surgeons or download a guide about the benefits of robotic surgery and when it can be used.
If you are scheduled for surgery at Retreat Doctors’ Hospital, your physician’s scheduling office will register you for a pre-op educational seminar. Classes take place the first and third Tuesday of each month at 3PM at Retreat Doctors’ Hospital. Call (804) 330-9105 for more information on how you can register and attend prior to your procedure.
Expert urologic treatments for men and women
The Center for Urology specialists provide expert treatments for men and women ranging from non-invasive techniques to minimally invasive laparoscopic and robotic-assisted procedures.
We welcome patient referrals for diseases and conditions including:
- General urinary symptoms
- Kidney stones
- Urologic cancers (prostate cancer, bladder cancer, kidney cancer, testicular cancer)
- Urogynecologic conditions
- Pelvic floor disorders
- Urinary incontinence
- Erectile dysfunction
Retreat Doctors’ Hospital urology specialists offer many of the most advanced treatments including:
- PCNL (tubeless)
- Renal reconstruction
- Robotic sacrocolpopexy
- Urogynecological revisions
- Radical prostatectomy
- Partial nephrectomy
- Robotic prostatectomy
- Robotic partial nephrectomy