When you contribute just four hours a week, you can make a big difference in the lives of patients, visitors and staff at LewisGale Hospital Montgomery — and you’ll probably notice how much you benefit, too! Volunteers at LewisGale help us do more of what we do best — provide high-quality and cost effective healthcare services, enhance patient care and satisfaction and extend our services deeper into the community.
Ready to serve? We’re always looking for gracious and cooperative spirits who have a sincere desire to help others and who can maintain total patient confidentiality. You’ll join our staff of friendly folks who are adaptable, flexible and completely dependable. You can begin serving as a junior volunteer once you reach age 14.
You may be just the right person to:
- Manage the information desk, transfer incoming calls to patient rooms, provide directions to visitors and patients
- Deliver flowers, postal mail and printouts of email messages to patients
- Provide community information and serve beverages and cookies to families in our waiting areas
- Assist in patient discharge, fill water pitchers, visit with patients and family members, carry out errands for nursing staff
- Serve as clerical support in non-patient departments
Become a Volunteer
Apply to become an adult volunteer by submitting the Adult Volunteer Application as well as filling out the Volunteer Background Authorization form, and sending it to Rhonda Whaling by mail, email, or delivering it to the hospital.
When you turn 14, you can apply for a volunteer position by:
- Completing the Junior Volunteer Application
- Submitting a letter of recommendation from a teacher, guidance counselor or an adult who is not a family member
- Submitting a copy of your immunization record
- Signing the Junior Volunteer Program Required Responsibilities form
- Providing a signed copy of the Parental Consent Form
If you’re a college student, submit the completed College Student Volunteer Application and one letter of recommendation from a current professor.
As the need arises, the applicants qualified for the available positions, will be contacted by the Manager of Volunteer Services, to schedule a formal interview. New volunteers participate in an orientation session and on-the-job training with one of our valued veteran volunteers.
Volunteer Application Disclosure
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with LewisGale Regional Health System. Attached please find a Volunteer Application and the Disclosure and Release Form for your completion.
Items to note:
- LewisGale Regional Health System has a policy of conducting background investigations for all Volunteer Applicants prior to beginning a volunteer experience, including High School Age, College Age, and Adult applicants.
- Please complete all applicable information on the Volunteer Application.
- On the Disclosure and Release Form, the line for “Any Other Names Used” refers to maiden names, adopted names, married names, etc.
- If you have no employment history, please write “None” in that section of the Disclosure and Release Form.
- If you are under the age of 18 years, the signature of a parent or guardian must be obtained and appear in the appropriate space on the Disclosure and Release Form
- Submit all pages of the Volunteer Application and the Disclosure and Release Form by mail:For Montgomery: LewisGale Hospital Montgomery, Attn: Rhonda Whaling, Volunteer Manager, 3700 South Main St., Blacksburg, VA 24060. For Pulaski: LewisGale Hospital Pulaski, Attn: Rhonda Whaling, Volunteer Manager, 2400 Lee Highway, Pulaski, VA 24301. You can also drop your application off at the volunteer desks located in the main lobbies.
- Falsification of information on either the Volunteer Application or the Disclosure and Release Form, may be grounds for denial of a volunteer placement.
- Background investigations will be conducted only on those applicants offered a volunteer position.
- LewisGale Regional Health System is not obligated to provide a volunteer placement, nor is the Applicant obligated to accept a position, if offered.