For more than 50 years, LewisGale Hospital Montgomery has delivered high-quality healthcare to Southwest Virginia and New River Valley residents. As a member of HCA Virginia, we’re able to provide a full scope of healthcare services from our 146-bed acute care facility located in Blacksburg, Virginia.
Why Choose LewisGale Hospital Montgomery
We specialize in heart and vascular care—with the only cardiac catheterization lab in the New River Valley that performs percutaneous coronary intervention (stent and angioplasty)—as well as orthopedic and spine care, heartburn treatment at LewisGale Hospital Montgomery’s Heartburn Treatment Center and maternity services through our family-focused Birthing Center facilities with award-winning lactation consultants.
Recognized for Quality Care
LewisGale Hospital Montgomery has received recognition from several leading healthcare organizations, including designation as accredited Chest Pain Center and as an Acute Stroke Ready Hospital, due to our ability to meet stringent standards of care and provide optimal outcomes for our patients. Learn more about our awards and accreditations.
Fully accredited by The Joint Commission, an independent national healthcare certification organization, LewisGale Hospital Montgomery opened with 12 beds in 1910 as Altamont Hospital in Cambria, Virginia. Prompted by growth, founder Dr. A.M. Showalter led an expansion to 20 beds in 1923.
In 1967, the hospital was renamed the A.M. Showalter Memorial Hospital and reorganized from private ownership into a community hospital under the direction of a Board of Trustees. Two years later, following the efforts of hospital administrator James Sublett, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) provided financing for construction of a replacement facility at our present location on Route 460 at the southern edge of Blacksburg, Virginia.
Since our new facility opened in 1971, we’ve undergone several name changes and renovations while maintaining our commitment to meeting the growing healthcare needs of the community.
- 1986 – Name change to Montgomery Regional Hospital reflected increased range of services offered and communities served
- 1987 – Facility ownership transferred to HealthTrust
- 1995 – HealthTrust merged with Columbia/HCA; facility name changed to Columbia Montgomery Regional Hospital
- 1998 – Name returns to Montgomery Regional Hospital
- 2010 – Name change to LewisGale Hospital Montgomery as part of HCA’s LewisGale Regional Health System
- 2021 – LewisGale Regional Health System integrates with HCA Virginia
LewisGale Hospital Montgomery is a 146-bed, general acute-care facility delivering comprehensive healthcare—including a wide range of medical, surgical, obstetric, pediatric, orthopedic, emergency and outpatient services—to residents of Southwest Virginia and the New River Valley.
In partnership with the other hospitals of HCA Virginia, LewisGale Hospital Montgomery provides you with benefits from the financial, technical and professional resources of HCA, our parent company and the nation’s largest non-government hospital organization. At the same time, we offer the best features typically found at smaller hospitals where patients receive personalized treatment and high-quality, compassionate care.
Our Leadership Team
- Alan Fabian, Chief Executive Officer
- Tim Haasken, Chief Financial Officer
- Stephen Chandler, Chief Operating Officer
- Carrie Champine, DO, Chief of Medical Staff
- Amy Woods, Chief Nursing Officer
LewisGale Hospital Montgomery Board Officers
- Jim Rakes – Chairperson
- Carol Ballard – Vice Chairperson
- Carrie Champine, DO – Chief of Medical Staff
- Alan Fabian, Chief Executive Officer, LewisGale Hospital Montgomery – Secretary / Treasurer
LewisGale Hospital Montgomery Board Members
- Carol Ballard, MSN, CDE, FNP
- Chuck Clark, MD, Chief of Anesthesia
- William Cox, DO, Medical Director & Program Director, Internal Medicine Residency
- Alan Fabian, Chief Executive Officer, LewisGale Hospital Montgomery
- Mildred Johnson, Dean of Admissions, Radford University
- Chris Lawrence, Deputy Town Manager, Town of Blacksburg
- Joe Meredith, PhD., President, Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center
- Hank Partin, Sheriff, Montgomery County
- Jim Rakes, Retired, President and CEO, National Bankshares Inc. and National Bank of Blacksburg
- Kristi Snyder, Administrator, Rainbow Riders