November 14, 2022
RICHMOND, VA – Nine HCA Virginia Health System hospitals were awarded an ‘A’ in the Fall 2022 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade,a national distinction recognizing the hospital system’s achievements protecting patients from harm and providing safe healthcare. Leapfrog assigns an ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’, ‘D’, or ‘F’ grade to general hospitals across the country based on their performance in preventing medical errors, injuries, accidents, infections, and other harm to patients in their care.
These 9 HCA Virginia hospitals earned an “A” grade for meeting some of the industry’s highest standards:
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital - 2022 Fall Grade: A
- Parham Doctors' Hospital - 2022 Fall Grade: A
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital - 2022 Fall Grade: A
- LewisGale Hospital - Alleghany - 2022 Fall Grade: A
- LewisGale Hospital - Montgomery - 2022 Fall Grade: A
- LewisGale Hospital - Pulaski - 2022 Fall Grade: A
- LewisGale Medical Center - 2022 Fall Grade: A
- Reston Hospital Center - 2022 Fall Grade: A
- John Randolph Medical Center - 2022 Fall Grade: A
“There is no more important part of our job than vigilantly protecting patient safety,” said Elizabeth Mikula, HCA Healthcare Capital Division vice president of quality. “We value the outside review of our patient safety programs to ensure we are providing world-class care to our patients and their families.”
The Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade is the only hospital ratings program based exclusively on hospital prevention of medical errors and harm to patients. The grading system is peer-reviewed, fully transparent, and free to the public. Grades are updated twice annually, in the fall and spring.
“An ‘A’ Safety Grade is a tremendous achievement, of which this community should be extremely proud,” said Leah Binder, president and chief executive officer of The Leapfrog Group. “I thank the leadership and workforce of HCA Virginia for its commitment to prioritizing patients and their safety, especially during these trying times.”