November 10, 2021
Richmond, VA – Ten HCA Virginia Health System hospitals were awarded an ‘A’ in the Fall 2021 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade, a national distinction recognizing the hospital system’s achievements protecting patients from harm and providing safe healthcare. Three additional HCA Virginia hospitals earned a ‘B’ in the ranking. Leapfrog assigns an ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’, ‘D’ or ‘F’ grade to general hospitals across the country based on their performance in preventing medical errors, injuries, accidents, infections, and other harm to patients in their care.
These 10 HCA Virginia hospitals earned an “A” grade for meeting some of the industry’s highest standards:
- CJW Medical Center - Chippenham Campus - 2021 Fall Grade: A
- CJW Medical Center - Johnston-Willis Campus - 2021 Fall Grade: A
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital - 2021 Fall Grade: A
- Parham Doctors' Hospital - 2021 Fall Grade: A
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital - 2021 Fall Grade: A
- LewisGale Hospital - Alleghany - 2021 Fall Grade: A
- LewisGale Hospital - Montgomery - 2021 Fall Grade: A
- LewisGale Hospital - Pulaski - 2021 Fall Grade: A
- LewisGale Medical Center - 2021 Fall Grade: A
- Reston Hospital Center - 2021 Fall Grade: A
The following three HCA Virginia hospitals received a ‘B’ grade:
- StoneSprings Hospital Center - 2021 Fall Grade: B
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center - 2021 Fall Grade: B
- John Randolph Medical Center - 2021 Fall Grade: B
“Our medical staff and support teams are committed to the care and improvement of human life every day,” said Elizabeth Mikula, HCA Healthcare Capital Division vice president of quality. “These independent reviews of our patient safety practices ensure that our relentless focus on quality is apparent to our patients every day. Our colleagues focus on providing world-class care to each patient and to those the communities we serve.
The Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade is the only hospital ratings program based exclusively on hospital prevention of medical errors and harms to patients. The grading system is peer-reviewed, fully transparent and free to the public. Grades are updated twice annually, in the fall and spring.
“An ‘A’ Safety Grade is a tremendous achievement, of which this community should be extremely proud,” said Leah Binder, president and chief executive officer of The Leapfrog Group. “I thank the leadership and workforce of HCA Virginia for its commitment to prioritizing patients and their safety, especially during these trying times.”
About The Leapfrog Group
Founded in 2000 by large employers and other purchasers, The Leapfrog Group is a national nonprofit organization driving a movement for giant leaps forward in the quality and safety of American health care. The flagship Leapfrog Hospital Survey and new Leapfrog Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) Survey collect and transparently report hospital and ASC performance, empowering purchasers to find the highest-value care and giving consumers the lifesaving information, they need to make informed decisions. The Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade, Leapfrog's other main initiative, assigns letter grades to hospitals based on their record of patient safety, helping consumers protect themselves and their families from errors, injuries, accidents and infections.