Cancer care in Pulaski County, Virginia
At LewisGale Hospital Pulaski, we've partnered with Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute of the New River Valley to provide patients access to quality cancer care. We offer a range of specialized programs — from screenings and diagnostics to advanced treatments and novel clinical trials.
As always, our hospital is committed to the care and improvement of human life. Our forward-thinking cancer care program strives toward this mission so patients can fight cancer while staying close to home, family and friends.
For more information about cancer diagnostics, treatments and other services, call askSARAH at (540) 795-6161.
LewisGale Hospital Pulaski earned the Silver Level Commendation by the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer. This recognition demonstrates our high standards of patient-centered cancer care.
We are also accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP) for meeting the highest benchmarks in patient care, equipment, staff qualifications and quality control.
Comprehensive oncology services
When you're dealing with cancer, you need leading-edge care with a compassionate touch. At LewisGale Hospital Pulaski, you have access to the latest technological advances in medicine and HCA Virginia's network of oncology specialists and services. We will develop a personalized treatment plan that aims to heal your body while giving you peace of mind.
Our cancer center offers wide scope of services to help prevent, diagnose and treat cancer. Our program features:
- A multidisciplinary team of specialists collaborating to provide a personalized care plan with the latest treatment options for every patient
- Advanced diagnostic and imaging technology and in-house diagnostic laboratory
- Advanced treatment options
- Access to clinical trials
- Genetic testing to assess your cancer risk
- Patient navigation from highly skilled, oncology-trained nurses
- Support services for patients and caregivers
Your cancer care team
The cancer care program at our facility gives you access to a team of knowledgeable specialists. This multidisciplinary team collaborates on your treatment plan. Our team includes:
- Medical, surgical and radiation oncologists
- Specialized surgeons
- Pathologists and medical technologists
- Nurse navigators
- Oncology social workers
- Oncology-certified dietitians
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Financial and legal counselors
The role of a nurse navigator is to be a liaison between you, your family and your care team. They are available to answer questions, educate and advocate for you throughout the entire care process. They can also coordinate practical matters such as transportation logistics and scheduling appointments. Their goal is to remove any barriers you face during your cancer journey.
Types of cancer we treat
Our experienced oncology team is skilled in diagnosing and treating various cancers, including:
- Bladder cancer
- Blood cancer, including leukemia
- Brain cancer
- Breast cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Genitourinary cancer, including prostate cancer
- Gynecologic cancer
- Head and neck cancers
- Kidney cancer
- Lung and chest cancers
- Pancreatic and liver cancers
- Peritoneal carcinoma and peritoneal mesothelioma
- Skin cancer, including melanoma
- Thyroid cancer
Advanced diagnostic tools
To get the best cancer care, you first need the most accurate diagnosis. We have the latest in diagnostic imaging technology as well as an 24/7 in-house diagnostic laboratory. We also offer genetic screening to determine your level of risk for certain cancers.
Our diagnostic imaging services include:
- 3D mammography
- Computerized tomography (CT)
- Electromagnetic navigational bronchoscopy
- Hematology services
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Molecular imaging
- Positron emission tomography (PET) scanning
- Sentinel node biopsy
- Stereotactic, ultrasound or MRI guidance for biopsies
Our diagnostic laboratory is available 24/7 for both inpatient and outpatient services. Our services include:
- Anatomic pathology
- Bone density screening
- Chemistry and therapeutic drug monitoring
- Clinical microscopy
- Hematology testing
- Serology (diagnostic immunology)
- Transfusion medicine
Genetic testing for cancer
Your genetics determine many things about you such as your hair color or height. Your family history may also increase your risk for some cancers. At our cancer center, our genetic specialists will guide you as they assess your risks and how to manage them moving forward.
Cancer treatments we provide
Most cancer patients receive a combination of treatments, and we offer a range of options. Depending on your type of cancer and other health factors, your multidisciplinary team will create a plan using one or more treatments. Some of our cancer treatments include:
- Advanced radiation therapies, including image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT), intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), stereotactic radiosurgery and volume-modulated arc therapy (VMAT)
- Brachytherapy for seed implantation to treat gynecological cancer, small lung lesions, breast cancer and prostate cancer
- Infusion therapies, including chemotherapy and immunotherapy
- Minimally invasive and robotic surgery for breast cancer, colorectal cancer, gynecologic cancer, kidney cancer, skin cancer and thyroid cancer
Advanced cancer treatment
Certain cancers present treatment difficulties, but our hospital strives to provide the latest technologies to overcome these challenges. Our cancer care program is proud to offer radiation therapy with an advanced linear accelerator. Offering various imaging methods, this technology uses precise, targeted doses of radiation in areas of the body that may be hard to access, such as tumors near a critical organ.
Using 2D, 3D and 4D (moving images), your radiation oncologist receives a highly accurate picture so your treatment plan can be tailored to your specific needs.
Access to clinical trials
Our oncology program is committed to advancing cancer treatment options. As our patient, you have the option to participate in the clinical trials for the following cancers:
- Breast cancer
- Gastrointestinal cancer
- Head and neck cancers
- Lung cancer
- Ovarian cancer
Cancer support services
Having a supportive community is crucial to your cancer treatment plan. We offer a range of support programs to help you and your family navigate your care — from diagnosis to treatment and survivorship. We welcome and encourage patients and loved ones to take advantage of our support resources, which can decrease recovery times and hospital stays.
Our cancer support services include:
- Counseling services for patients, family and friends
- Lymphedema (swelling and fluid retention) care
- Nutritional counseling
- Outpatient cancer education programs
- Payment and insurance assistance
- Rehabilitation services and exercise programs
- Spiritual guidance through nondenominational faith leaders
- Strategies for managing emotions, pain and fatigue
- Support groups
About Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute
As part of Sarah Cannon, the Cancer Institute of HCA Healthcare, our family of hospitals provides comprehensive cancer services with convenient access to cutting-edge therapies for people facing cancer in our communities. From diagnosis to treatment and survivorship care, our oncology expertise ensures you have access to locally trusted care with the support of a globally recognized network.
Have cancer questions? We can help. askSARAH is a dedicated helpline for your cancer-related questions. Our specially trained nurses are available 24/7 and all calls are confidential. Contact askSARAH at (540) 795-6161 or chat online at askSARAH.
Oncology at HCA Virginia
Oncology refers to the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Oncology treatments may include chemotherapy, radiation, medication or surgery. Oncologists can specialize in one of three fields of oncology: medical, radiation or surgery.Learn about Oncology
- Chippenham Hospital
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- LewisGale Hospital Alleghany
- LewisGale Hospital Montgomery
- LewisGale Hospital Pulaski
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Reston Hospital Center
- Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute At Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Johnston Willis
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center