Inpatient mental health care in Pulaski County, Virginia
LewisGale Hospital Pulaski is home to Transitions Behavioral Health, a 16-bed mental health care facility located on our hospital campus in Pulaski, Virginia. Our comprehensive inpatient program focuses on treating mental health, substance abuse and dual diagnosis disorders.
If you or a loved one is in crisis, or need more information, call our Access and Response Center at (877) 886-7026 or (540) 776-1100.
Mental health conditions we treat
Our experienced behavioral health specialists treat a wide range of conditions, including:
- Anxiety causing constant fear, paralyzing worries or panic attacks
- Depression with feelings of hopelessness or suicide
- Emotional issues occurring with substance abuse or medical issues
- Inability to maintain adequate nutrition
- Inability to maintain psychiatric stabilization through outpatient treatment
- Severe disorientation or memory impairment
- Threatening thoughts or assaultive behaviors toward others
- Unusual or bizarre behavior with illogical thoughts or beliefs
Our behavioral health facility
Our facility provides a safe, supportive environment for adult patients requiring inpatient mental health care. This enables patients to receive care close to home with support from family and friends. Most patients have short-term inpatient stays, intending to stabilize symptoms and transition to a less intense level of care.
Our 8,000-square-foot behavioral health care facility consists of:
- A dining area
- Courtyard activity areas
- Group and individual therapy spaces
- Patient rooms
- Physician and staff offices
- Quiet and group locations
For more information about Transitions Behavioral Health at LewisGale Hospital Pulaski, please call (540) 994-8100.
Our mental health services
Treatment will vary by patient, depending on the presenting conditions and symptoms. Components of treatment may include:
- Crisis intervention
- Psychiatric triage
- Differential diagnosis
- Coping skills training
- Discharge planning
- Outpatient follow-up care
Upon discharge from our facility, patients have a comprehensive plan that identifies resources and providers in the community to help promote overall health and well-being. Our goal is to enable our patients to maintain and build upon the progress they made while participating in our program.
Our multidisciplinary treatment team
Our team is made up of a range of mental health care professionals, including:
- Psychiatric nurses
- Recreational therapists
- Social workers
Coming to our mental health unit
Transitions Behavioral Health is a separate, secure unit that can be accessed via the designated entrance adjacent to the main hospital entrance.
When people could endanger themselves or others but are not willing to consent to a voluntary admission, a legal process may be initiated to determine if an individual needs a temporary detention order (TDO) to admit them for additional clinical assessments.
The TDO process is conducted by emergency services staff who screen the individual and request that a magistrate issue the TDO to “temporarily detain” the individual until a hearing can be held to determine appropriate actions, up to and including a commitment.
Remember, this is a legal process established by the laws of each state. Although hearings are held at our facilities and we’re required by law to take certain steps, the process itself is out of our control since it is a legal process governed by the state.
We’re here to assist in finding safe and effective programs and services for each individual in need of mental health services.
- Chippenham Hospital
- Choices Adolescent Outpatient Program – Chantilly
- Choices Adolescent Outpatient Program – Falls Church
- Choices Adult Outpatient Program – Falls Church
- Dominion Hospital
- John Randolph Medical Center
- LewisGale Hospital Alleghany
- LewisGale Hospital Pulaski
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Parham Doctors' Hospital Center for Emotional Growth
- Parham Doctors’ Hospital
- Reflections Eating Disorder Treatment Center - Northern Virginia
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center
- Tucker Pavilion