For nearly a century, LewisGale Hospital Pulaski has delivered outstanding healthcare to residents of Southwest Virginia and the New River Valley. As a member of HCA Virginia, we provide a full scope of healthcare services from our facilities located in Pulaski, Virginia.
Why Choose LewisGale Hospital Pulaski
Our advanced medical technology and highly skilled, compassionate medical professionals deliver the highest quality patient care — care that is nationally recognized based on our patient outcomes.
Our hospital is also home to the Sarah Cannon Institute of the New River Valley, the first medical facility in the region to provide a radioactive seed implant procedure, a radiation therapy alternative for treating breast and prostate cancer. Our accreditation from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer comes with numerous commendations for our program of service and patient care.
We also specialize in orthopedic services, and as an Accredited Chest Pain Center, LewisGale Hospital Pulaski also provides lifesaving cardiovascular care when you need it most.
LewisGale Hospital Pulaski is committed to saving and improving lives. While we have received many awards and accolades for our services, the outcomes and satisfaction of our patients are our greatest honors. A patient’s triumph can be a source of inspiration and strength for those facing similar circumstances. We are pleased to share our patients’ stories of their experiences with our cancer care, orthopedic care, emergency services and inpatient hospital care.
LewisGale Hospital Pulaski first opened its doors in 1915 as Pulaski Community Hospital, managed under the charter of The Pulaski Hospital Association, with seven beds in a building originally used by General Chemical Company.
Pulaski Hospital, Inc., was founded in 1926 by Dr. D.S. Divers, Dr. R.F. Thornhill, Dr. R.H. Woolling and Dr. H.R. Farley to enable the construction of a new hospital building on Randolph Avenue, replacing the little seven-bed cottage hospital with a physician-owned, 15-bed facility.
In September of 1948, Pulaski Hospital opened its School of Nursing offering a three-year diploma program approved by the Virginia State Board of Nursing Examiners. The school stayed in operation until the late 1950s.
A nursing unit (west wing), physician offices, morgue and storage areas were added to the hospital around 1960. In 1965, the name was changed to Pulaski General Hospital.
After significant growth and deliberation on issues of renovation versus construction, a new $3 million hospital was built near Route 11 inside the northern city limits on 23 acres of land acquired from Mrs. Helen D. Wyatt, a Pulaski resident. At a gauze-cutting ceremony on July 29, 1973, Pulaski Community Hospital officially opened.
Renamed LewisGale Hospital Pulaski in 2010, the facility employed approximately 250 clinicians and staff. With integration into the LewisGale Regional Health System and then into HCA Virginia, our hospital now includes more than 400 employees, new medical equipment and technological advances and expanded patient care services as we maintain our commitment to delivering the best care for our patients.
Our Leadership Team
- Sean Pressman, Chief Executive Officer
- Dr. Benjamin Davidson, Chief of Medical Staff
- Christine Ludwig, Chief Nursing Officer
- Tim Haasken, Chief Financial Officer
- Bob Suddarth, Assistant Administrator
LewisGale Hospital Pulaski Board
- Angela Covey, Executive Director, New River Community College Educational Foundation Vice Chairman
- Dr. William Hale, Owner, Martin's Pharmacy Vice Chairman
- Gary Hancock, Attorney, Gilmer, Sadler, Ingram, Sutherland & Hutton Chairman
- Franky Marchand, VP & General Manager, Volvo Group Truck Operations
- Karanita Ojomo, MD, Radiation Oncologist, Blue Ridge Cancer Care, Chief of Staff
- Peggy White, Executive Director, Pulaski County Chamber of Commerce
- Joe Levine, Executive Director, New River Resource Authority
- Lisa Gray, DO, General Surgeon, LewisGale Physicians
- Benjamin Davidson, MD, Chief of Staff
- William “Bill” Cunningham, Real Estate Developer and Property Manager