Back and spine specialists in Richmond, Virginia
If you're suffering from back or neck pain, activities such as turning, bending or simply stretching can be difficult or uncomfortable. It may be a minor issue that can be fixed with physical therapy, or you may have damaged your spine and need surgery. Regardless of the cause, the back and spine specialists at Chippenham Hospital can help.
Here, our team of board-certified and fellowship-trained doctors specializes in orthopedic care, neurosurgery, sports medicine and pain management. They work together to provide you with whole-patient care every step of the way. Our goal is always the same: to help you get long-term relief.
For more information about Chippenham Hospital's spine care services or for help finding a doctor, call our free, 24/7 Consult-A-Nurse line at (804) 320-3627 (DOCS).
Back and spine conditions we treat
Your spine is a complex structure that provides mobility and strength to your entire body. So, if you're experiencing pain in your back or spine, there's a good chance it's going to impact your overall health. A prompt and accurate diagnosis is critical to getting treatment and avoiding any further damage.
Our back pain specialists diagnose and treat:
- Bone spurs
- Degenerative disc disease
- Herniated discs
- Scoliosis and kyphosis
- Spinal stenosis and myelopathy
- Spinal tumors and cancer
- Spine fractures
- Spine infections
- Sports injuries
Depending on the cause, you may have pain in either the cervical (upper), thoracic (middle) or lumbar (lower) area of your back.
Treating back and neck pain with non-surgical or minimally invasive therapies
Before recommending treatment, your doctor will evaluate your health and consider your lifestyle goals. If surgery is not required, they may suggest less invasive treatments, such as:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation—Board-certified physiologists will develop and supervise a fitness plan to help you strengthen and stabilize your core.
- Spinal injections—Epidural, facet joint, sacroiliac joint, nerve blocks or trigger point injections can be used to relieve your pain and reduce inflammation.
- Nerve stimulation—Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) therapy or implanted peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS) devices deliver low-voltage electrical currents to relieve pain.
- Interventional spine procedures—Procedures such as radiofrequency ablation, which uses heat, can be used to destroy tissue or sensory nerves that cause pain.
Advanced spine surgery and recovery
Your doctor may determine your condition requires surgery to stabilize a joint, fuse bones or replace a hip or knee. Our multispecialty team will be there through every step of your care and recovery. Additionally, during a pre-operative class with our nurse navigator, you'll learn what to expect during and after surgery, when you return home.
Advanced Primary Stroke Center
Our total hip and knee replacement programs are approved by The Joint Commission, the nation’s leading authority on quality care, outcomes and continuous improvement.
Types of spine surgery we offer
Some of the procedures our expert spine surgeons perform include:
- Digital biplane angiography (3DBRA)
- Disc replacement surgery
- Laminectomy or laminotomy
- Spinal fusion
During your procedure, our surgeons will use advanced intraoperative imaging tools to create 2D/3D images. This offers a more precise diagnosis, accurate treatment and enhanced safety during your care.
Rehabilitation after spine surgery
After your surgery, we'll provide you with every service and amenity you'll need for a comfortable and successful recovery. Our physical therapists will assess your need for inpatient or outpatient rehabilitation to ease pain and build strength and mobility.
Spine care at HCA Virginia
Spine doctors, who can be orthopedists or neurosurgeons, diagnose and treat problems linked to your spine. They can help with neck and back pain as well as injuries, trauma and diseases related to the spine. You may need to see a spine specialist if you have a herniated disk, nerve damage, sciatica or chronic back pain.Learn about Spine care
- Chippenham Hospital
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- LewisGale Hospital Montgomery
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Parham Doctors’ Hospital
- Reston Hospital Center
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center