Senior behavioral health program in Low Moor, Virginia
LewisGale Hospital Alleghany's Senior Transitions is a stand-alone geriatric psychiatry unit in the Alleghany Highlands region of Southwest Virginia. Here, we provide immediate, short-term stabilization for patients 55 years old and older. Caregivers, friends or family members may request a referral to Senior Transitions, so their loved one can receive care in a calming, inpatient setting.
Senior mental health conditions we treat
We provide specialized inpatient mental health care for a wide range of conditions, such as:
- Anxiety that results in constant fear, paralyzing worries and/or panic attacks
- Depression, including patients with suicidal thoughts or feelings of hopelessness
- Emotional issues occurring with substance abuse or medical issues
- Inability to care for oneself
- Inability to maintain adequate nutrition, which may threaten vital bodily functions
- Inability to maintain psychiatric stabilization through outpatient treatment
- Severe disorientation or memory impairment
- Threatening thoughts or harmful behaviors toward others
- Unusual or bizarre behavior with illogical thoughts or beliefs
- Any other behavioral health concerns in patients 55 years old and older
Our senior psychiatry services
Treatment varies by patient, but components of our inpatient program include:
- Crisis intervention
- Psychiatric triage, evaluation and differential diagnosis
- Medication stabilization
- Group therapy
- Family therapy and education
- Educational groups
- Activity therapy
- Individual psychotherapy
- Coping skills training
- Discharge planning
- Outpatient follow-up
Family members and loved ones are an important support tool for each individual's recovery. We encourage family involvement throughout the care process. Family members are welcome to stop in during regular visiting hours, attend family sessions and provide input into treatment and discharge planning, with patient consent.
For continued support, our senior patients have access to the outpatient programs within HCA Virginia's comprehensive mental health care program.
To learn more about Senior Transitions, please call us at (540) 862-6713.
Our multidisciplinary treatment team
Our program offers access to multispecialty care from a team of specialists. This team includes:
- Mental health technicians
- Recreational therapists
- Social workers
Visiting our senior mental health unit
Senior Transitions is a unit within our main hospital. The unit has regular visiting hours daily from 5:00pm to 6:30pm. Special visiting hours may be arranged upon request.
Visitors may use the main hospital entrance, which has ample parking available. Upon entrance, visitors can go to the fifth floor and ring the bell to be admitted into the unit.