Cardiovascular care in Virginia's Alleghany County
Heart health is a top priority at LewisGale Hospital Alleghany. The right treatment starts with the right diagnosis and our experienced staff of cardiologists, rehabilitation therapists and other specialists work in tandem to help strengthen and maintain your heart. In addition, we provide residents in Low Moor and the surrounding areas with fast, effective heart attack care through our Accredited Chest Pain Center.
To learn more about the heart services we provide, please call our Consult-A-Nurse® line at (877) 242-2362.
LewisGale Hospital Alleghany is an Accredited Chest Pain Center designated by the American College of Cardiology (ACC). This recognition reflects our high-quality cardiovascular care, as evidenced through having met or exceeded a series of stringent judging criteria.
Heart conditions we treat
LewisGale Hospital Alleghany is equipped to service a number of both common and complex heart conditions. These include:
- Atherosclerosis — buildup of plaque which causes arteries to narrow, blocking blood flow and potentially leading to blood clots
- Congenital heart defects — birth defects that can affect the structure of a baby’s heart, how it operates and/or how blood flows from the heart to the rest of the body
- Diseased heart valves — when one or more of the your four heart valves don't open or close properly, causing a disruption in overall blood flow
- Heart arrhythmia— an erratic heartbeat categorized by beating irregularly, too slow or too fast, caused by a disruption in the heart's electrical impulses
- Heart attack — when the flow of blood to the heart is blocked via excessive plaque buildup in the coronary arteries
- Heart failure — when narrowed arteries or high blood pressure leaves your heart weak or stiff, causing it not to pump blood as well as it should
When minutes matter, you can also receive prompt emergency cardiac care in our emergency room. Our specialists are prepared and equipped with advanced technology to treat patients exhibiting signs of a heart attack.
If you think you may be having a heart attack, please call 911 immediately.
Thorough, accurate diagnoses are key in treating cardiovascular conditions. Many tests can help identify diseases and conditions of the heart and blood vessels, including:
- Echocardiography (ECHO)— uses noninvasive ultrasound imaging to detect weaknesses in the heart’s rhythm and function
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)— measures the electrical activity of the heart
- Holter monitoring— records the heart’s electrical signals through electrodes attached to the chest
Our cardiac rehabilitation unit, located on the sixth floor within LewisGale Hospital Alleghany, offers an extensive program for improving heart health after a cardiovascular event or condition.
The cardiovascular rehabilitation program is open Monday through Friday from 7:00am to 4:30pm. Cardiac rehabilitation takes place Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and pulmonary rehabilitation is scheduled for Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Patients improving their health at the cardiac rehab center engage in the exercise program, a three-phase process which begins with recuperating in the hospital, strengthening the heart and surrounding muscles while on a cardiac monitor and ends with ongoing, self-pay maintenance exercise. This is a 12-week program with 36 sessions.
Our multidisciplinary team of nurses and specialists monitor the heart while patients perform various exercises on equipment, such as:
- Arm ergometer
- Free weights
- Recumbent bike
- Rowing machine
- Stationary bike
- Wall pulley
Every patient is referred, evaluated and cleared by a specialist. The specialist will communicate with the patient's primary care physician or cardiologist who will sign off on a release from the program.
Access to comprehensive cardiac care
As part of the HCA Virginia network of facilities and providers, we can connect you to additional cardiac care when you need it. Our healthcare network provides access to cardiologists, cardiovascular surgeons and other heart specialists throughout Virginia — making it easier to find high-quality care as close to home as possible. These specialists offer a wide range of services, from minimally invasive treatments to advanced cardiovascular surgeries.
Cardiology at HCA Virginia
Cardiology is the medical treatment of the heart and parts of the circulatory system as they relate to the heart. Cardiologists specialize in diagnosing and treating conditions related to the cardiovascular system.Learn about Cardiology
- Chippenham Hospital
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- LewisGale Hospital Alleghany
- LewisGale Hospital Montgomery
- LewisGale Hospital Pulaski
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Parham Doctors’ Hospital
- Reston Hospital Center
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center