Breast imaging and diagnostics in Alleghany County
Although the risk of getting breast cancer can be frightening, screening for cancer has never been easier or as effective. The breast specialists at LewisGale Hospital Alleghany are dedicated to detecting breast cancer early by using a variety of innovative screening tools and, when necessary, providing advanced treatment options with compassionate support and guidance.
For more information about our breast health services or to make an appointment, please call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (877) 242-2362.
Advanced Primary Stroke Center
LewisGale Hospital Alleghany is accredited by the American College of Radiology for our advanced work in mammography. This designation helps to assure our patients that our dedication to improving women's health has been validated through participation in rigorous quality assurance programs by the oldest and most experienced imaging and radiation oncology accreditation body in the country.
Breast care services
Breast diagnostics and treatments come in many forms. If breast cancer is suspected or detected during a screening, the proper course of care for you depends on a number of factors. No matter the case, our team of breast specialists is equipped to provide effective, compassionate care every step of the way.
The diverse suite of breast health services available at LewisGale Hospital Alleghany includes:
- 3D mammography —3D mammograms are imaging tests that combine multiple breast X-rays to create a three-dimensional picture. Because of their superior image quality, 3D mammograms are preferred to traditional mammograms. They are particularly useful in examining breast pain and masses.
- Breast ultrasound — This noninvasive exam uses sound waves to create images that help us diagnose lumps and other abnormalities found during physical examinations or mammograms. Ultrasounds can expose certain abnormalities and lesions that mammograms cannot.
- Cyst aspiration — In this procedure, fluid is drained from a breast cyst. This can be illuminating in the early detection of cancer, and aspirating the fluid through a needle can alleviate symptoms.
- Ultrasound core needle biopsy —This procedure is typically performed if breast cancer has been previously discovered. Using an ultrasound to locate the suspicious area, a radiologist makes a small incision after providing a local anesthetic, then inserts a spring-loaded suction needle to remove breast tissue.
- Breast cancer surgery — Surgery can be the best treatment to completely remove cancerous tissue and aid in any cancerous removal from the lymph nodes. Breast cancer surgeries are either lumpectomies, which remove only the cancerous part of the breast, or mastectomies, which remove the entire breast. In either case, postoperative breast reconstruction is a viable surgical option.
We also offer bone density testing to help in diagnosing osteoporosis. These screenings are used to examine bones for calcium and bone mineral. The higher the mineral content, the denser the bone, and with that, a decreased likelihood for breakage. If you have breast cancer, bone density screenings are crucial X-rays that demonstrate your bone strength during treatment, helping ensure that you do not develop cancer-related osteoporosis.
New tool for early breast cancer detection
LewisGale Hospital Alleghany is proud to offer our patients contrast-enhanced mammography (CEM), a game-changing new tool that is notably effective in detecting and evaluating abnormal, cancerous tissues, particularly in women with dense breasts.
CEM provides the same confidence as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), but with lower costs, decreased exam times and reduced discomfort. CEM also allows a radiologist to read the images in real-time during the patient’s mammogram, lowering anxiety caused by waiting for results.
Schedule your appointment today
To get started on the road to improved breast health, call us at (540) 862-6879 or select the button below to schedule an appointment online.
Breast health at HCA Virginia
From regular checkups and screenings to the latest imaging technologies and treatments, you can access all our expert breast care services at our convenient location.Learn about Breast health
- Appomattox Imaging Center
- Chippenham Hospital
- Hanover Emergency Center
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- Independence Park Imaging Center
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- LewisGale Breast Center
- LewisGale Hospital Alleghany
- LewisGale Hospital Montgomery
- LewisGale Hospital Pulaski
- LewisGale Imaging Center - Brambleton
- LewisGale Imaging Center - Daleville
- LewisGale Imaging Center - Montgomery
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Reston Hospital Center
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center
- Women's Imaging Center