October 19, 2020
Chippenham Hospital was designated Oct. 15 by the Commonwealth of Virginia as a Level I Trauma Center, providing increased care options for severely injured patients in the Richmond area. This designation makes Chippenham Hospital the only Level 1 Trauma Center in the southern Richmond metropolitan area and only one of two in the region.
The Level I accreditation is the highest level a hospital trauma center can receive. To receive a Level I designation, a hospital must first meet all requirements to accept a higher acuity of trauma patients. This achievement signifies the hospital and its trauma teams have demonstrated commitment to providing the highest quality trauma care for injured patients.
“This accreditation demonstrates the focus on patient care and the hard work our staff does every day,” said William Lunn, Chippenham Hospital chief executive officer. “This accomplishment was made possible through the dedication and collaboration of our world-class team of nurses, physicians, and support teams who are trained and passionate about caring for the most severely injured patients in our community.”
During the 12 months preceding its application Level I Trauma designation, Chippenham Hospital’s Adult Emergency Department received 95,801 ill and injured patients. Of these, 1,304 injured patients were submitted to the Virginia State Trauma Registry, according to the Virginia Department of Health.
To meet the standards of being a Level I Trauma Center, Chippenham Hospital ensures 24/7 availability of surgical and medical personnel to citizens of our community should they become seriously injured. This includes skilled trauma surgeons, emergency physicians, orthopedists, neurosurgeons, intensive care physicians, and cardiac surgeons all supported by the latest technology and equipment, and highly trained nurses and staff. An operating room with advanced imaging and cardiopulmonary bypass technology, interventional radiology capabilities, and critical care services is also available to treat trauma patients in need.
Another significant part of the designation is a commitment to advancing trauma research and education so that the community can benefit from the latest advances. As a Level I Trauma Center, Chippenham is committed to resident education and research that will benefit trauma patients in the Richmond area and beyond.
Chippenham’s Level I Trauma Center services include:
- A comprehensive team of trauma-trained and board-certified surgeons across varying specialties.
- Prompt assessment, resuscitation, surgery, intensive care and stabilization for critically injured patients.
- An ambulance bay that will accommodate up to 20 ambulances at a time.
- Four fully-equipped trauma bays.
- Dual helipads for quick transport from an accident to the trauma center or to another medical center, if necessary.
- A comprehensive program to regularly review of our care standards based on national standards published by the American College of Surgeons and the American College of Emergency Physicians.
- A program to evaluate quality and provide ongoing staff education to ensure we continue to provide high-quality care to the community.
- A community outreach program.
Learn more about Trauma Center Designations and what the trauma level rating system means in Virginia.