Comprehensive spine care in Hopewell, Virginia
When neck or back pain affects your quality of life, the spine specialists at John Randolph Medical Center can help. We understand your spine is a complex structure critical to your mobility and quality of life. That's why we have assembled an expert team of spine specialists, orthopedic doctors, nurses and physical therapists to help you heal. Together, we will develop a treatment plan based on your condition and unique needs, ensuring you receive the care that's right for you.
For more information about John Randolph Medical Center's spine care services or for help finding a doctor, call our free, 24/7 Consult-A-Nurse line at (804) 320-3627 (DOCS).
Back and spine conditions we treat
We treat a wide range of conditions and disorders, including:
- Bone spurs
- Degenerative disc disease
- Herniated discs
- Scoliosis and kyphosis
- Spinal stenosis and myelopathy (narrowing of the spinal canal)
- Spinal tumors
- Spine fractures
- Spine infections (osteomyelitis)
- Spondylolisthesis (one vertebra slips over another)
- Sports injuries
Spine treatments we offer
We provide comprehensive orthopedic care for spine conditions. Our spine doctors will evaluate your overall health, and they may order imaging tests to further analyze the cause of your symptoms. Depending on your diagnosis, we may suggest nonsurgical therapies, minimally invasive procedures, advanced spine surgery or a combination of treatments.
Nonsurgical back and spine treatments
Sometimes, nonsurgical treatments can resolve your back pain and other symptoms. Some of nonsurgical therapies include:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation — Therapy and rehabilitation strengthens and stabilizes the core. Medically supervised, personalized fitness plans are developed by our board-certified physical therapy doctors to help you heal.
- Spinal injections — Spine specialists use image-guided technology to inject medications that relieve pain and reduce inflammation. Injection therapies can include facet joint injections, epidural steroid injections, sacroiliac joint injections, nerve blocks and trigger point injections.
Advanced spine surgery
If your spine condition requires surgery, our spine surgeons have expertise in a variety of procedures, including:
- Disc replacement surgery — This procedure replaces a damaged cervical or lumbar disc (the cushion between the vertebrae) with an artificial disc.
- Discectomy/microdiscectomy — This surgery removes all or part of the disc.
- Foraminotomy — This surgery removes bone or tissue to open the space where the nerves leave the spinal canal. It's sometimes performed along with spinal fusion surgery.
- Kyphoplasty/vertebroplasty — This treatment involves injecting medical cement into the spine to treat spinal fractures, ease pain and restore height.
- Laminectomy or laminotomy — This procedure removes the back of one or more vertebrae to relieve pressure on the spinal nerves. It's often performed with spinal fusion surgery.
- Spinal fusion — This procedure joins two vertebrae with bone grafts and sometimes implants, such as rods and screws. The treatment helps improve spine stability.
Spine care at HCA Virginia
Spine doctors, who can be orthopedists or neurosurgeons, diagnose and treat problems linked to your spine. They can help with neck and back pain as well as injuries, trauma and diseases related to the spine. You may need to see a spine specialist if you have a herniated disk, nerve damage, sciatica or chronic back pain.Learn about Spine care