Physical rehabilitation center in Richmond, Virginia
Whether you are recovering from a stroke or joint replacement surgery, Johnston-Willis Hospital's comprehensive physical therapy and rehabilitation program can help. We offer inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services in Chesterfield County to help you restore function, relieve pain and ease you back into enjoying normal life.
For more information about Johnston-Willis Hospital's rehabilitation services, please call our physical therapy clinic at (804) 483-6720.
Comprehensive rehabilitation services
Rehabilitation at our hospital involves education, training and support every step of the way. Throughout your treatment, our specialists are focused on helping you heal. If imaging services or other hospital specialists are needed in the healing process, we provide comprehensive care in our full-service medical center.
We offer the following services and therapies:
- Balance and vestibular (inner ear) therapy
- Cancer rehabilitation
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Dialysis services
- Driving program
- Ergonomics education and training
- Fall assessments and prevention programs
- Lymphedema therapy
- Neurological rehabilitation
- Neuropsychological testing and counseling
- Occupational therapy
- Orthopedic rehabilitation
- Orthotics, assistive technology and adaptive equipment
- Pain management
- Pediatric rehabilitation
- Physical therapy
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Speech therapy
- Sports-related injury therapy
The driving program at Johnston-Willis Hospital examines driving skills and teaches new ones to help you drive safely. We offer in-depth evaluations and driver training programs taught by registered occupational therapists.
Our program is suitable for all drivers, including:
- Individuals with disabilities—If you have a disability, we can teach you to drive an adapted vehicle. Our assessment and training cars are equipped with dual controls, left-foot accelerators and push right-angle hand controls.
- Older adults—Physicians may request an assessment to determine if driving performance has been affected by aging.
- Teens—Adolescents 19 years old and younger may need special assistance to comply with Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) regulations. We teach teens the skills to be safe, independent drivers for life.
Our occupational therapists:
- Assess physical, cognitive and sensory motor skills
- Determine whether participants need adaptive equipment
- Evaluate each patient's medical history and driving record
- Help participants find the appropriate equipment for their personal vehicles
Our team provides driving instruction services in both clinical and actual driving settings. On-road evaluation and instruction allows participants to practice on a driving range as well as in rural, suburban and highway settings.
Participants learn to handle a variety of scenarios including:
- Acceleration and braking
- Drive-through windows
- Driving in reverse
- Hazardous and emergency situations
- Managing turns
Free community driving education
We provide free education programs for community organizations, including churches, schools and civic groups. These programs focus on the needs of older adult drivers and drivers with disabilities.
Driving program contact information
A physician's referral is required for participation in our driving program. For more information, please call our physical therapy clinic at (804) 483-6720.
Our neurorehabilitation services are designed to help patients with brain and nervous system conditions, such as strokes and spinal cord injuries, make full, healthy recoveries.
The specialists in our Pain Management Clinic can help you manage chronic pain to restore your quality of life. We use a multidisciplinary approach to pain management that can include interventional injections and procedures, medication trials, physical therapy and appropriate referrals to specialists.
To schedule an appointment with one of our pain management doctors, please call (804) 483-6841.
When you have a respiratory condition, simple activities can leave you feeling winded and out of breath. Our pulmonary care program can help. In it, we offer pulmonary rehabilitation for patients with respiratory and lung diseases. Our pulmonary rehab team can help you manage your symptoms through exercise training, educational programs, nutritional counseling and oxygen therapy.
Sports injury rehabilitation
We provide an experienced group of sports medicine physicians and physical therapists near the Tri-Cities area. Our sports medicine clinic offers advanced technology, injury prevention and assessment, health and fitness training and rehabilitation for athletes of all ages.
Outpatient rehabilitation hours of operation
Johnston-Willis Hospital's outpatient rehabilitation services are available Monday through Friday from 6:30am to 7:30pm.
Physical therapy and rehabilitation at HCA Virginia
Rehabilitation refers to the process of helping a patient recover from a serious injury or illness. Patients often have to regain strength and learn new ways of completing normal, daily activities. Physical therapy, a branch of rehabilitation, focuses on building strength and mobility after disease, injury or surgery.Learn about Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Chippenham Hospital
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Parham Doctors’ Hospital
- Reston Hospital Center
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center