Neurological rehabilitation in Richmond, Virginia
Whether you are living with a neurological disease or recovering from a brain injury, the neurological rehabilitation team at Johnston-Willis Hospital can help you. Our rehab experts will develop a customized plan to help you regain your independence and quality of life.
For more information about our neurological rehabilitation services, please call our Consult-A-Nurse line at (804) 320-3627.
The Joint Commission has recognized Johnston-Willis Hospital with its Gold Seal of Approval for Stroke Rehabilitation. This certificate is awarded to hospitals with comprehensive stroke rehabilitation programs that result in positive patient outcomes.
Neurological conditions we treat
Neurological rehab may be prescribed as part of your neurological care plan. Our program benefits patients with a wide range of conditions and disorders, such as:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease)
- Balance disorders
- Brain injuries
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Parkinson's disease
- Spinal cord injuries
Neurological therapy services
Our neurological rehabilitation team stays by your side throughout your treatment and recovery. We begin rehabilitation while you're still in the hospital, so we can speed up the recovery process and get you feeling more like yourself.
As part of our comprehensive physical therapy and rehabilitation services, our neurological rehab program includes:
- Assistance with home-based skills, including cooking and cleaning
- Cognitive exercises to improve memory, concentration and decision-making skills
- Driving assessment program
- Outpatient rehabilitation services
- Physical therapy to help increase range of motion and rebuild strength, balance and flexibility
- Relearning of daily activities, including bathing, dressing, toileting and eating
- Speech and swallowing therapies
Driving assessment program
We offer a driving assessment program taught by a certified driver rehabilitation specialist. This specialist is an expert in the mental and physical side effects of neurological diseases, strokes and brain injuries.
As part of our driving assessment program, the specialist will:
- Evaluate your medical history and driving record
- Assess your physical, cognitive and sensory-motor skills
- Determine if you need special equipment to help you drive
- Help you locate special equipment for your vehicle, if needed
For more information about our driving assessment program, please call (804) 483-6720.
Parkinson's disease rehabilitation
We offer an innovative, research-based Parkinson's disease rehabilitation program to help patients living with speech and movement challenges. Our program team includes neurologists, neurosurgeons and therapists with specialized training in Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders. The goal of the program is to improve the quality of life for you and your caregivers.
Individual treatment sessions with our specialists may help with:
- Facial expression
- Limb movement and coordination
- Mood and overall outlook
- Vocal articulation and volume