Nephrology in Richmond, Virginia
The kidney specialists working in Chippenham Hospital's nephrology program provide comprehensive kidney care. Our kidney doctors have experience diagnosing and treating a variety of conditions. From kidney stone treatment to tumor removal, we offer minimally invasive treatments to restore your quality of life.
For more information about Chippenham Hospital's nephrology services or for help finding a doctor, call our free, 24/7 Consult-A-Nurse line at (804) 320-3627 (DOCS).
What doctor treats kidney diseases?
A nephrologist is a doctor who exams you for, diagnoses and treats kidney diseases and disorders. Nephrology and urologic care often overlap because both medical specialties involve the kidneys. However, a urologist treats conditions of the urinary tract (which includes the kidneys), and a nephrologist focuses solely on the kidneys.
What are the types of kidney conditions?
Some of the conditions our kidney specialists diagnose and treat include:
- Acute or chronic renal failure
- Chronic kidney disease
- End stage renal disease
- Kidney cancer
- Kidney failure
- Kidney stones
- Polycystic kidney disease (PKD)
- Progressive loss of kidney function (Alport syndrome)
- Renal artery stenosis
- Renal tubular acidosis
What are nephrology treatments?
Many kidney problems will have to be treated surgically, but we will do our best to offer you nonsurgical options first. When surgery is needed, our nephrologists are equipped to perform many of them with a minimally invasive approaches, including
- Cryosurgery — An alternative to surgically removing a tumor, cryosurgery involves injecting argon gas through ultra-thin probes to freeze the tumor, killing cancerous cells while sparing healthy kidney structures.
- Endourology procedure — This procedure is performed to extract kidney stones via natural entry points to the kidney.
- Nephrectomy — This procedure involves the surgical removal of all (radical) or part (kidney-sparing) of the kidney.
If your condition requires a kidney transplant, our sister facility, Henrico Doctors' Hospital, offers a kidney transplant program through its Virginia Transplant Center. There, surgeons and clinicians specialize in kidney transplant surgery, living kidney donations and paired kidney exchanges.
From the moment you are referred to the program to your post-transplant follow-up appointments, Virginia Transplant Center's team is with you.
Nephrology at HCA Virginia
Nephrology is the branch of medicine that focuses on the kidneys. A nephrologist is able to evaluate proper kidney function, identify and treat kidney disease and care for patients with kidney cancer.Learn about Nephrology