Pregnancy and childbirth services in Reston, Virginia
COVID-19 and Pregnancy—An Update for our Patients
We would like to take this opportunity to update you about your maternity care during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, and assure you that our dedicated team of expert nurses, physicians and midwives are committed to providing the safest and most effective care.
When you want an award-winning team to help you start or expand your family, come to Reston Hospital Center. Whether this is your first child or your fourth, we help you stay healthy during pregnancy, plan for labor and delivery and learn to care for yourself and your newborn with confidence.
For more information about Reston Hospital Center's birth center, please call our birth nurse navigator at (703) 639-9538.
For our high-quality maternity care, we are among the top 5 percent of maternity hospitals nationwide to be recognized with Healthgrades' Excellence Awards in obstetrics and gynecology and labor and delivery. Additionally, Healthgrades named our hospital a Five-Star Recipient for C-section and vaginal deliveries.
When you choose to deliver your baby at Reston Hospital Center, you receive customized care starting with our prenatal care services and continuing through your delivery.
Features of our prenatal program include:
- Care for every type of pregnancy—From advanced monitoring for high-risk pregnancies to low-intervention midwifery services, we offer support for all types of pregnancies and birth plans, including doula care.
- Dedicated antepartum unit—Our four-bed antepartum unit is designed for your comfort, whether your stay with us is for a few days or several weeks. Each room features advanced medical technology as well as home-like amenities, including more comfortable mattresses, mini refrigerators and space for visitors.
- Dedicated birth nurse navigator—We offer personalized care from our birth nurse navigator to help you throughout your pregnancy journey. To contact our birth navigator, complete the form at the bottom of this page or use the contact information there.
- Valet parking and convenient access—Getting in and out of our facility is easy. Our Garage A and west wing entrance allow for quick access to our labor and delivery and postpartum floors. Ample parking and free valet services are available at our emergency room (ER) and Pavilion II. Complimentary valet parking is available for hospital patients from 5:00am to 9:00pm on weekdays and from 6:00 am to 9:00pm on weekends.
We offer guided tours of our maternity unit, so you know what to expect when you go into labor and can ask questions ahead of time. The tours are free, but registration is required.
We also provide maternity classes to help you prepare for childbirth and feel ready to take care of your newborn.
Our maternity and birthing classes include:
To sign up for a maternity tour or class, please register online with the links above or call (877) 689-3627.
Labor and delivery
At our hospital, you will welcome your baby in a safe, soothing environment.
Our birth center offers:
- A medical team ready for anything—Our team is here for whatever you need, 24/7. We have advanced obstetric technology and resources, including anesthesiologists and dedicated operating rooms nearby for unplanned or emergency cesarean sections (C-sections).
- Around-the-clock physician coverage—Our birth center is staffed by doctors called OB hospitalists. These doctors provide routine and emergency obstetric care to patients in the hospital. This means your care is managed by a skilled childbirth doctor until your own OB/GYN arrives or throughout the delivery, in the event your doctor is unavailable.
- Childbirth delivery options—We know every woman is unique when it comes to how she wants to experience labor and birth. Whether you would like a medicated birth or are interested in a more natural experience, we support your choices and provide you with options.
- Experience you can count on—We deliver more than 3,000 babies a year. Our childbirth experts—including maternal-fetal medicine specialists, neonatologists and certified nurse midwives, if you choose—work closely as a team to make sure every delivery is safe and smooth.
- A private, peaceful and family-friendly setting—Labor and delivery can take time. We offer ample, spacious birthing suites with private bathrooms and showers as well as comfortable overnight sleeping arrangements for you and your partner. We also offer two complimentary meals for your support person after you deliver so you can spend even more valuable time together.
Neonatal intensive care
Sometimes babies need a little help adjusting to life outside the womb. To provide this gentle, expert care to our tiniest patients, we offer a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Our NICU provides neonatologists from Children’s National Hospital, which U.S. World News & Report consistently ranks a leader in neonatal care.
The clinical expertise of Children’s National Hospital, paired with the quality and convenience of Reston Hospital Center, means a higher level of care for critically ill and premature babies.
Family-centered neonatal care
We provide the complex intensive care your baby needs as well as the support your family deserves.
Our family-centered NICU services include:
- A family waiting room—Our spacious lounge allows you to catch up on work, spend time with other family members, find educational resources and communicate with your baby’s neonatal care team.
- Considerate communication—Our caregivers understand this is a stressful time for your family. We will make sure you stay well-informed while we take excellent care of your baby.
- Extended visitation—You can stay by your baby’s side almost 24 hours a day. We also encourage visitation with siblings (8 years old and older) and grandparents. Visitors are welcome two at a time, accompanied by one or both parents. Our NICU only limits visitors during two, 90-minute shift changes at 6:30am and 6:30pm.
- Unlimited bonding—We encourage you to spend plenty of hands-on time with your baby, holding or feeding them as often as you can.
Postpartum care and support
After childbirth, our team provides you with comprehensive postpartum care to nurture and educate you as you transition into motherhood.
Some of our postpartum services include:
- Comprehensive breastfeeding support—If you plan to breastfeed, our lactation consultants and registered nurses will provide education and support to help you and your newborn get a good start to your breastfeeding journey.
- Family-centered care—We practice couplet care (also known as "rooming in") so you and your partner can bond with your baby in a private setting. This means your baby stays with you in the room at all times, even during examinations. The same nurse who cares for you also cares for your baby. Because we also know new parents need rest and healing, we offer a Respite Nursery every night from 10:00pm to 6:00am. Your infant can visit the Respite Nursery for as little or as long as you would like and be cared for by one of our mother-baby nurses. This is an optional service that is available to you if you need it.
- Restorative massage—To help alleviate pain and promote healing, we offer new moms a relaxing postpartum massage. This service is available seven days a week.
- Ongoing support and counseling—We offer screenings for postpartum depression, and therapy is available nearby at our sister facility, Dominion Hospital in Falls Church, Virginia. For a free, confidential and immediate mental health assessment, please call Dominion Hospital's counselors at (703) 538-2872.
- Baby photography—We partner with Sweet Seedlings for newborn portraits, which provides an online gallery for your family and friends.
Our birth navigator
Shannon Longendyke, RN Birth navigator
Our birth navigator helps you during your pregnancy journey by:
- Ensuring you feel as comfortable as possible as you prepare for your upcoming delivery at our facility
- Helping you and your family navigate through the pregnancy, delivery and postpartum experience so you feel safe, respected and empowered
- Overseeing all maternity tours and classes, providing private tours and coordinating multidisciplinary meetings for high-risk pregnancies
- Serving as a nurse leader, resource, friend and advocate for you and your family
- Working closely with all your maternity clinicians and team members to help provide you with a personalized labor, birth and postpartum experience
Contact our birth navigator
We know planning for a baby can be an exciting and overwhelming time in your life. Our birth navigator is here to ensure you have all your questions answered and feel as comfortable as possible leading up to the big day.
To contact our birth navigator, please call (703) 639-9538. You may also reach her by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or filling out the form below, and she will be in touch with you within two to three business days.
Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).
Your form has been submitted.
There was an error with the form submission.
Labor and delivery at HCA Virginia
Just as every baby is unique, so is every delivery. As your partner in care, we provide a customized birthing experience that begins long before your first contraction and continues well after delivery.Learn about Labor and delivery