Cardiovascular surgery in Richmond, Virginia
The highly trained surgeons at Henrico Doctors' Hospital in Henrico County, Virginia, are experienced in performing routine, minimally invasive and advanced heart surgeries. We take this service seriously, striving for excellence and compassionate care. This is why we have been recognized by U.S. News & World Report and Healthgrades. This puts us in the top 10 percent in the nation for cardiology services, and we are proud to provide you with this expertise.
To learn more about Henrico Doctors' Hospital's heart and vascular surgery services, call us at (804) 289-4500.
Healthgrades recognizes us for excellence in vascular surgery and carotid, pacemaker and coronary interventional procedures as well as the treatment of heart attacks and heart failure. We are also proud to be ranked as a High-Performing Hospital for Heart Bypass Surgery by U.S. News & World Report and designated as a Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Distinction Center+ for Cardiac Care.
Heart and vascular surgeries and procedures
Our cardiovascular surgeons diagnose and treat heart conditions with a variety of advanced and minimally invasive surgical procedures.
Minimally invasive endovascular repair
We offer minimally invasive endovascular repairs to treat abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs). An aneurysm occurs when a weakened section of an artery fills with blood and balloons out. Abdominal aortic aneurysms develop in the aorta and, if ruptured or burst, can cause internal bleeding and possible hemorrhage.
Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
TAVR is a groundbreaking minimally invasive surgical option that repairs the heart valve without removing the old, damaged valve. Instead, it wedges a replacement valve into the aortic valve’s place.
Other cardiac procedures we offer
Other heart surgeries and procedures we provide include:
- Aortic valve replacement
- Cardiac ablation
- Cardiac device (e.g., pacemakers or implantable cardioverter-defibrillators) implantation
- Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG)
- Heart wall closures
- Minimally invasive valve surgery
- Mitral valve replacement, including transcatheter mitral valve replacement
- Transcarotid artery revascularization (We are the first and only site in Richmond to perform this procedure.)
Arrhythmias are disruptions in the rhythm of the heart’s electrical system, causing an irregular heartbeat. The irregular heartbeat can cause the patient to have chest pain, fluttering in their chest, lightheadedness or to faint. Heart arrhythmias can be harmless, but they may increase a person’s risk for stroke or heart failure.
Some types of arrhythmia include:
- Atrial fibrillation (AFib)
- Atrial flutter tachycardia (heart beats too fast)
- Bradycardia (heart beats too slow)
- Neurogenic disorders, such as syncope
- Supraventricular tachycardia
- Ventricular tachycardia
- Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome
Treating heart arrhythmias
When your arrhythmia requires more complex treatment than medication, we offer a range of treatment options, including:
- Catheter ablation
- Coronary bypass artery grafting (CABG)
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) insertion
- Pacemaker insertion
Cardiac catheterization lab (cath lab)
Our on-site cardiac cath lab is equipped with advanced monitoring and imaging equipment. It is open 24 hours a day.
Cardiac catheterization is often used during diagnostic testing, but it is also a minimally invasive treatment option—replacing traditional heart surgery for many patients.
Heart procedures performed in our cardiac cath lab include:
- Balloon angioplasty
- Coronary and carotid artery stenting
- Diagnostic catheterization tests
- Peripheral diagnostic angiograms
- Stenting of peripheral vessels and other techniques to remove plaque and restore blood flow to the heart
- Transesophageal echocardiograms
State-of-the-art hybrid operating room (OR)
Henrico Doctors' Hospital is committed to staying at the forefront of technology, which is why we have invested in a hybrid OR. Here, we combine the capabilities of a traditional OR with fixed imaging equipment. This allows advanced medical imaging to be performed during minimally invasive surgeries, such as TAVR, transcatheter mitral valve replacement and certain vascular surgeries.
Benefits of our hybrid OR
Before, some patients may have had to undergo multiple surgeries in multiple rooms on separate days to fully treat the same condition. In our hybrid OR, our experienced surgeons can perform all needed surgeries in the same room on the same day. This type of "one-stop" for a single surgery results in several benefits for our patients, such as:
- Improved patient safety
- Less time in surgery
- Quicker recovery
- Reduced risk of infection
- Shorter hospital stay
Heart and vascular surgery videos
- Chippenham Hospital
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- LewisGale Hospital Pulaski
- LewisGale Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center