Gastroenterologists in Northern Virginia
StoneSprings Hospital’s gastroenterologists and colorectal specialists treat gastrointestinal (GI) problems that cause pain, cramping and other symptoms, such as heartburn. Our goal is to quickly and accurately find and treat chronic and acute GI problems, so you can start feeling better as soon as possible. To do that, we offer advancements in endoscopic and other technologies, such as robotic surgery.
For more information about StoneSprings Hospital Center's gastroenterology services or for help finding a doctor, call our free, 24/7 Consult-A-Nurse line at (855) 226-7344 (DOCS).
Digestive health conditions we treat
Our doctors provide expert GI diagnostics and care for issues affecting your esophagus, stomach, intestines, liver, gallbladder, colon and rectum. These conditions include:
- Anal fissures
- Anal fistulae
- Anal condyloma
- Colorectal cancer
- Colon polyps
- Crohn’s disease
- Diseases of the bile duct or pancreas
- Fecal incontinence or outlet obstructions
- Gastric, duodenal and peptic ulcers
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Lower and/or upper GI bleeding
- Rectal prolapse
- Tumors of the GI tract
Acid reflux and GERD treatment
GERD is what develops when chronic acid reflux goes untreated. It is often associated with heartburn, acid reflux or acid indigestion. Left untreated, the condition can lead to a more serious health condition, such as esophageal cancer. Treatment to manage GERD typically includes diet and lifestyle changes and medication.
If your doctor determines surgery is required, we offer minimally invasive options to repair the esophageal valve or correct a hiatal hernia using robotic surgery. This provides you with less scarring and enables you to have a faster recovery.
GI services we provide
Your doctor will determine what tests and treatments you need based on your condition. However, we offer a wide range of treatments, both surgical and nonsurgical, and are specialized in endoscopic procedures.
Our colon and rectal surgical program uses advanced technology, new therapies and minimally invasive options to treat colon, rectal and anal cancer. Procedures include:
- Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR)
- Laparoscopic colon and rectal surgeries
- Large colon polyp resection
- Restorative proctocolectomies for the small intestine and anus
- Small tumor ablation
We also collaborate with other specialists, including gynecologic surgeons, to perform:
- Pelvic floor reconstruction
- Rectal prolapse repairs
- Vaginal prolapse repairs
An outpatient procedure, endoscopy allows doctors to examine the esophagus, stomach and intestines. During the procedure, a flexible tube (endoscope) with a light and camera attached provides real-time imaging. The endoscope will be inserted orally for an upper GI procedure and rectally for a lower GI procedure.
We offer these endoscopic procedures:
- Colonoscopy to exam the bowel for signs of colorectal cancer, polyps or other abnormalities
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) which allows visual inspection of the bile duct, pancreatic duct and gallbladder
- Upper GI endoscopy to explore the esophagus, stomach and small intestine
If you have GERD, which is typically indicated by chronic acid reflux, we offer surgical treatment options to relieve your symptoms and restore your function. We offer many of these treatments as minimally invasive procedures, such as Nissen fundoplication. This robotic surgery is a procedure that repairs the esophageal valve or corrects hiatal hernias.
Gastroenterology at HCA Virginia
Gastroenterology is the field of medicine relating to the treatment of the gastrointestinal tract. Gastroenterologists focus on the treatment of diseases of the digestive system, this includes a range of organs starting at the mouth and ending at the rectum.Learn about Gastroenterology
- Chippenham Hospital
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- LewisGale Hospital Montgomery
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Parham Doctors’ Hospital
- Reston Hospital Center
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center