Gastrointestinal (GI) care in Richmond, Virginia
The gastroenterologists at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital provide expert care for conditions and diseases of the GI tract and digestive system. Our award-winning GI surgeons specialize in esophageal, hernia repair and gallbladder surgeries. We are also proud to provide advanced care for heartburn, acid reflux and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) through the Heartburn and Reflux Center of Richmond.
For more information about Henrico Doctors' Hospital's GI services or for help finding a doctor, call our free, 24/7 Consult-A-Nurse line at (804) 320-3627 (DOCS).
GI conditions we treat
Our digestive care includes treatment for many common, chronic and acute conditions of the GI tract, including:
- Acid reflux
- Crohn's disease
- Gastrointestinal cancers
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Inflammatory bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Ulcerative colitis
Hernia Center and hernia treatments
The Hernia Center at Henrico Doctors’ Hospital specializes in the repair of all types of hernias: groin, abdominal, umbilical and incisional. We provide this care as a proud member of the Virginia Institute of Robotic Surgery, meaning we use the most advanced, minimally invasive surgical technology available for your hernia surgery.
A hernia is a hole or defect anywhere in the abdominal muscle wall. When the muscle wall is weak or subject to strain, it may cause tissue to protrude and cause a visible bulge.
Common types of hernias include:
- Epigastric hernia—occurs midway between the umbilicus and chest
- Femoral hernia—occurs in the low groin
- Hiatal hernia—occurs in the diaphragm, the large muscle separating the chest cavity and the abdomen
- Incisional hernia—occurs near scar tissue from a previous surgery
- Inguinal hernia—occurs in the groin area and is the most common type of hernia
- Umbilical—occurs through the belly button
- Ventral hernia—occurs outside the inguinal areas of the abdomen and are less common than inguinal hernias
Depending on your diagnosis and history, our expert surgeons will determine which procedure will best reduce the risk of hernia recurrence. Options may include an abdominal wall reconstruction, inguinal and femoral hernia repair or ventral hernia repair.
Gastroenterology at HCA Virginia
Gastroenterology is the field of medicine relating to the treatment of the gastrointestinal tract. Gastroenterologists focus on the treatment of diseases of the digestive system, this includes a range of organs starting at the mouth and ending at the rectum.Learn about Gastroenterology
- Chippenham Hospital
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- Parham Doctors’ Hospital
- Reston Hospital Center
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center