Emergency room (ER) services in Richmond, Virginia
The ER at Parham Doctors' Hospital is prepared to handle any medical emergency you or your child may have, any time, day or night. This includes fast, precise care for cardiovascular emergencies, such as heart attacks, and certification as a Primary Stroke Center. Our goal is to quickly treat emergency conditions and provide the long-term care patients need for a successful recovery.
If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 911.
The Leapfrog Group
We were recognized by The Leapfrog Group with an "A" ranking for meeting the highest safety standards in the U.S.
Complete emergency care
Our top priority is making sure you receive the care you need and that we provide that care with compassion. To do that, our ER offers many resources and features, including intensive care and behavioral health services.
We strive to make your visit to the ER as convenient as possible with amenities like free Wi-Fi and complementary valet parking.
If you are experiencing a "minor emergency" and are unable to visit your primary care doctor, we offer a convenient solution through our walk-in FastTrack ER. An extension of our main ER, this track is designed for minor illnesses and injuries that are not emergencies but require treatment within 24 hours, including:
- Back pain
- Bites, stings and allergic reactions
- Burning or infrequent urination
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Cough symptoms
- Prescription refills
- Sore throats
- Suture removals
- Wound checks
If you are visiting our FastTrack ER, use the main ER entrance to check in, open daily from 11:00am to 11:00pm.
You will find that our specialists communicate and work closely with you, sharing all test results and treatment plans, especially when it's your child who needs care. In fact, our pediatric-friendly ER is designed to ease your mind and your child's fears. It features:
- 24/7 transfer access to our pediatric ER, board-certified pediatricians, nurses and subspecialists
- Complimentary valet parking, ensuring you and your child can get to the ER as soon as possible
- Family-friendly environment
- Free Wi-Fi
Treatment for chest pain
Chest pain can be a symptom of minor conditions, such as acid reflux, but it is also a strong indicator of a heart attack. That is why we encourage you to come to the ER if you have signs of chest pain. Here, we are staffed and equipped to diagnose and treat heart attacks quickly and effectively.
Cardiac care network
We offer extensive heart care in partnership with our sister-facility—The Heart Hospital at Henrico Doctors' Hospital. Here, you will have access to advanced heart care services, such as cardiac catheterization, heart and vascular surgery and treatment for heart conditions and diseases.
If you are recovering from a cardiac condition, such as a heart attack, our cardiac rehabilitation program can help. Our rehab therapists work closely with you to understand your personal goals and help you attain them at a safe and healthy pace. You will also learn how to check your heart rate and manage your cardiac condition. This will allow you to do the things you need and love to do, all while working to avoid future heart problems.
ER symptom checker
When you are sick or hurt, it can be hard to decide where to go—the ER, urgent care or your primary care doctor. It's always better to call 911 if you think you are having a medical emergency, but, in general, a medical situation is an emergency if you have:
- Chest pain—with sweating, lightheadedness or other signs of a heart attack
- Concussion or head injuries—with slurred speech, headache or any loss of consciousness or memory
- Flu—with extreme symptoms or dehydration (See our cold/flu/stomach flu symptoms chart for more information.)
- Severe stomach pain—with additional symptoms, such as a high fever or shortness of breath
- Side pain—with other conditions or unusual symptoms, such as blood in the urine
- Sudden numbness—with other signs of stroke, such as trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Trouble breathing—with an inability to speak or eat, extreme fatigue or swelling in the limbs
If you would like to talk with a nurse about your symptoms, illness or injury, call Consult-A-Nurse 24 hours a day at (804) 320-3627.
What to expect when visiting the ER
Check the top of our website or text "ER" to 32222 to find out the wait times of the HCA Virginia ER closest to you.
Note: Message and data rates apply. ER wait times are approximate and provided for informational purposes only.
Emergency care at HCA Virginia
Emergency care is the treatment of emergent medical conditions. It is generally performed in an emergency room, but can also refer to treatment in an ambulance. Emergency medicine physicians may treat patients with injuries or infections, in addition to life-threatening conditions.Learn about Emergency care
- Chippenham Hospital
- Chippenham Pediatric ER
- Hanover Emergency Center
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- LewisGale Cave Spring ER
- LewisGale Hospital Alleghany
- LewisGale Hospital Montgomery
- LewisGale Hospital Pulaski
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Parham Doctors’ Hospital
- Reston Hospital Center
- Reston Pediatric ER
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center
- Swift Creek ER
- TriCities ER
- Tysons Emergency