Complex care center in Richmond, Virginia
When different medical conditions and symptoms happen all at once, it can be overwhelming. This situation is complex, and, appropriately, requires "complex care" to treat. At Retreat Doctors’ Hospital, our complex care team treats multiple diagnoses and offers a wide range of support for patients and families.
We use a multidisciplinary approach, in which board-certified medical and rehabilitation experts work together to create a plan best-suited for your overall condition. The result is often less time spent in the hospital, improved health and a better quality of life. Regardless, we are here every step of the way, answering questions and championing your recovery to your fullest ability.
To learn more about Retreat Doctors' Hospital's complex care services, email us or call us at (804) 254-9893.
Complex care services
Complex care teams are composed of doctors and specialists who monitor overlapping symptoms and provide treatments based on your whole health. They focus on your whole health so that your recovery can be as quick and complete as possible.
You may need complex care during or after experiencing severe or multiple illnesses or injuries, such as:
- A brain injury or coma
- A catastrophic or severe illness
- Cerebrovascular accident (stroke)
- Chronic or non-healing wounds
- Multi-trauma injuries
- Neurological conditions
- Non-weight bearing injuries
- Pulmonary complications
What to expect in complex care
Complex care at Retreat Doctors’ Hospital begins with an on-site evaluation by a licensed liaison. If accepted, the liaison will submit information to the insurance company for authorization.
Your interdisciplinary team meets weekly to discuss your plan of care, based on your unique needs. Every other week, patients, families or caregivers are invited to attend. This process allows everyone to prepare for a smooth transition to acute rehabilitation or a return home with home health.
Our complex care services
We provide coordinated inpatient medical and rehabilitation services to help heal our patients as part of our complex care program. We prepare them and their families for a successful transition home or to the next level of care.
Our program ensures you have:
- A team of board-certified doctors working together for you—Led by board-certified co-medical directors in internal medicine and physical medicine and rehabilitation, our team also includes specialists in infectious disease, neurology, cardiology and orthopedic care.
- Support from the finest care managers—Your care team is made up of skilled nurses, case managers, therapists (physical, occupational and speech) and case liaisons. They're here the first day of treatment all the way through and after your transition.
- Family involvement in the care process—We participate in weekly conferences, which families and caregivers are invited to attend. Case liaisons also ensure loved ones understand treatment and your progress in the program.
- Private rooms—Complex care is provided on the fifth floor of the hospital, and every room is private. This comfort offers peaceful healing and recovery for you and your family during an extended stay.
- Time to recover—Occupational, speech and physical therapies are not limited by time, and you can receive multiple services during the stay. All therapies are coordinated and work as stepping stones to help you fully participate in intensive inpatient rehabilitation if needed.
Complex care treatments
Complex care can be a long process. Our team will not only work together to provide the best medical treatment, we’ll give you endless encouragement and support. We'll also be as clear as possible about what to expect during your treatment.
Your customized complex care plan will include whatever combination of treatments your doctor determines will best help you heal. Some treatments you may receive include:
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT)
- Long-term IV antibiotics
- Parenteral nutrition (PN) (IV nutrition)