Heart services in Blacksburg, Virginia
When you need high-quality heart care, the cardiologists of LewisGale Hospital Montgomery are here for you. Our satellite clinics in the Alleghany Highlands, Lexington and Smith Mountain Lake communities can accommodate a range of tests, allowing you to stay close to home.
For more information about our cardiology services or to find a cardiologist, call our Consult-A-Nurse® line at (877) 242-2362.
Accredited Chest Pain Center
LewisGale Hospital Montgomery is an Accredited Chest Pain Center designated by the American College of Cardiology (ACC). This recognition reflects our high-quality cardiovascular care for patients with acute coronary syndrome (ACS).
Cardiovascular interventional care
Our investment in the latest superior-quality care initiatives allows our cardiac care team to effectively treat cases of heart failure and cardiac arrest (chest pain), while also medically treating atrial fibrillations caused by arrhythmia (irregular heart beat).
In addition, our specialists are equipped to insert pacemakers when needed, as well as numerous other elective and emergency procedures to remove blockages in arteries.
Cardiac catheterization allows our doctors a variety of options for treatment and testing, including blood sample collection, measuring oxygen levels and calculating pressures within the heart chambers.
During cardiac catheterization, a doctor places a catheter into a blood vessel in the neck, arm or groin, then threads it into the heart. Once in place, numerous procedures can be performed, including:
- Angioplasty — inflation of a tiny balloon at the tip of the catheter to improve arterial blood flow after plaque buildup
- Stenting — expansion of a small metal mesh coil or tube at the end of the catheter to keep an artery open
LewisGale Hospital Montgomery is proud to be the only American College of Cardiology accredited Chest Pain with Primary PCI Center in the New River Valley.
Emergency cardiac care
Patients arriving at our hospital's emergency room (ER) can expect fast, effective emergency heart care 24/7, whether experiencing symptoms of a heart attack or another cardiovascular event.
Heart attack symptoms
It's important to know the symptoms of a heart attack so you can act quickly if it does happen. Signs include:
- Chest discomfort that lasts more than a few minutes or goes away and comes back (You may feel uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.)
- Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort
- Pain or discomfort in one or both arms
- Pain in your back, neck, jaw or stomach
- Breaking out in a cold sweat
If you believe you're having a heart attack, call 911 immediately.
The right treatment starts with the right diagnosis. Our focus first and foremost is on our patients, and that means having as many options as possible to gain a proper diagnosis, no matter the condition.
Our lab features advanced, upgraded technology that can perform a wide range of diagnostic tests to identify diseases and conditions of the heart and blood vessels, including:
- Echocardiogram (ECHO) — noninvasive ultrasound test that uses imaging to show heartbeats and pumping function in order to identify heart disease.
- Electrocardiogram (EKG) — measures the heart's electrical activity in order to identify abnormal rhythms, causes of chest pain or the effectiveness of a pacemaker
- Holter monitoring — device attached to the chest that records the heart’s electrical signals and creates a detailed record of a patient's heartbeats
For those who have undergone a cardiac procedure or have cardiovascular disease, we provide a cardiac rehabilitation program. Cardiac rehabilitation includes closely monitored exercises for strengthening the heart and improving cardiovascular health.
Access to comprehensive cardiac care
Should you need additional care for a heart or vascular condition, we'll help you get it. As part of HCA Virginia's comprehensive cardiovascular program, we can connect you to a network of cardiovascular surgeons and other heart specialists close to home.
Cardiology at HCA Virginia
Cardiology is the medical treatment of the heart and parts of the circulatory system as they relate to the heart. Cardiologists specialize in diagnosing and treating conditions related to the cardiovascular system.Learn about Cardiology
- Chippenham Hospital
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital
- John Randolph Medical Center
- Johnston-Willis Hospital
- LewisGale Hospital Alleghany
- LewisGale Hospital Montgomery
- LewisGale Hospital Pulaski
- LewisGale Medical Center
- Parham Doctors’ Hospital
- Reston Hospital Center
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center
- StoneSprings Hospital Center