The hip allows the leg to move up and down and left to right. This happens because of a ball and socket joint surrounded by resilient muscle and ligaments. However, disease or injury can disturb the normal functioning of a joint, which can result in hip pain, muscle weakness, and limited movement.
How Do I know if I need a hip replacement?
When joint pain is severe and interferes with daily activities and work, joint replacement may be an option. Signs that it might be time for a hip replacement:
- You’re no longer as mobile as you’d like to be
- Your pain persists or recurs over time
- Your hip aches during and after exercise
- Medication and using a can aren’t delivering enough relief
- Your hip stiffens up from sitting in a car or not moving for a certain period of time
- The pain prevents you from sleeping
- Your hip is stiff or swollen
- You have difficulty walking or climbing stairs
Call our Consult-A-Nurse® team 24/7 at 877.689.DOCS (3627) to find an orthopedic specialist, make an appointment or learn more about orthopedic services at Parham Doctors’ Hospital.