Reston Hospital Center is Growing Again!
It's now 2021 and here is our latest update on what's been completed and what's coming next.
Phase 1 - Completed
- 180,000 square foot, LEED certified medical office building
- Relocation of imaging services to an updated and expanded space
- Update and expansion of our lobby creating a seamless entry to Pavilion I, Pavilion II, surgical discharge and outpatient testing
- Expansion of pre-op department – we went from 19 to 34 rooms!
- Expansion of surgical recovery – we went from 11 to 30 rooms!
- Addition of 4 operating rooms
- Addition of our 16 bed observation unit for patients who need to remain under our observation, but allowing emergency rooms to be available for more patients and to decrease patient wait times.
- Addition of our Pediatric Emergency Room, housing 5 dedicated pediatric beds
- Updates and facelifts for our existing 30 exam rooms in our ER for your comfort
- Conversion to bedside registration so that our patients get to a room and treated more quickly
- Updates to our cafeteria to improve the overall experience for visitors and staff
Phase 2 – Completed
- Our new patient-visitor parking garage (Garage A) with easy access to our renovated West Wing Entrance opened in the Summer of 2019. The new garage offers 2 levels underground and 2 above to allow more convenient parking options for our valued patients and visitors.
- New patient tower and state of the art 24-bed Intensive Care Unit (ICU), located above our Emergency Room
- New Inpatient Rehabilitation Center featuring 18 private rooms each equipped with a walk-in shower, grab bars and adaptive equipment for toileting and grooming, including ADA sinks and toilets. Our inpatient rehabilitation center also has a gym equipped with state-of-the-art recovery equipment and a full-scale ADA apartment to help patients adapt to daily activities.
- Expansion and renovation of our Women and Children's Services, including our Level III NICU which is now overseen by clinical experts from Children's National Medical Center, ranked #1 by U.S. News and World Report for Neonatology.
- A second Catheterization Lab to continue our service as Northern Virginia's only Accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI
- Renovation of our main entrance and hospital lobby including the finalization of a new visitor-centric corridor that will help to provide easier navigation between the main entrance, west wing entrance, pavilion I and II entrances and our emergency department.
Reston Hospital Center has committed to over $70 million in new investments on key projects to expand service capacity, modernize facilities, and introduce state-of-the-art technologies to help meet the growing healthcare needs in the region.
The hospital’s next round of key initiatives include:
- New Freestanding Emergency Department: Reston Hospital has commenced construction on a new standalone emergency room (ER), at 8240 Leesburg Pike. Located in the heart of Tysons, VA near the intersection of Route 7 and Route 123, this nearly 14,000 square-foot facility will be conveniently positioned within walking distance to both the Greensboro and Tysons Metro stations. The emergency department will be an extension of Reston Hospital Center and is targeted for a Q1 2022 opening. Upon launch, the 11-treatment room, state-of-the-art ER will be staffed with board-certified emergency room physicians and nurses, 24-hours a day, 365 days a year and offer the same services provided in an emergency room that is housed within the walls of a hospital.
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Center Expansion: Reston's Inpatient Rehabilitation Center will expand from 18 to 30 beds to support patients recovering from various debilities, including stroke, spine and brain tumors, traumatic brain injuries and other neurological conditions. This project will add 13,000 square feet to the all-private unit; construction will begin in late 2021, with an expected completion date in early 2023.
- Facility Renovation and Modernization: Funds will be reinvested in the facility's remaining patient care areas including women's care services to refresh and modernize finishes; elevating the patient experience across the hospital. The project will also provide improvements to the hospital's physical plant and infrastructure to improve system safety and reliability.
- Surgical Technology Enhancements: Reston is continuing to enhance one of the region's most advanced surgical service portfolios with significant investments in key areas including robotic surgery and augmented reality-guided surgery. These emerging technologies will enhance surgical patient experience through reduced hospital stays and shorter recovery times across many surgical specialties including bariatric (weight loss), colorectal, general, gynecologic, hepatobiliary (pancreas and liver), neuro, orthopedic, spine, thoracic (lung), and urological surgeries, among others.
- Advanced Stroke Care: Reston has enriched their accredited primary stroke treatment program by opening its neurointerventional suite in the fall of 2020. The service is offered in partnership with the nationally-regarded neurovascular team from Medstar Medical Group.
- Technology Upgrades: Additional funding has also been spent or earmarked for updates to cancer treatment technology for radiation therapy and diagnostic imaging system upgrades.