June 09, 2021
RESTON, VA — Reston Hospital Center, a part of HCA Virginia Health System, announced that it has committed to over $70 million in new investments on key projects to expand service capacity, modernize facilities, and introduce state-of-the-art technologies to help meet the growing healthcare needs in the region.
“While many healthcare organizations put projects on hold or canceled initiatives due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Reston Hospital Center continued to march forward with strategic investments to ensure that we are able to meet the needs of our community,” said John Deardorff, president and chief executive officer of the HCA Healthcare Northern Virginia market and Reston Hospital Center.
Reston Hospital's new investments began after the completion of the hospital's multi-year, campus expansion project which was completed in early 2020. The hospital's next round of key initiatives include:
- New Freestanding Emergency Department: Reston Hospital has commenced construction on a new standalone emergency room (ER), at 8240 Leesburg Pike. Located in the heart of Tysons, VA near the intersection of Route 7 and Route 123, this nearly 14,000 square-foot facility will be conveniently positioned within walking distance to both the Greensboro and Tysons Metro stations. The emergency department will be an extension of Reston Hospital Center and is targeted for a Q1 2022 opening. Upon launch, the 11-treatment room, state-of-the-art ER will be staffed with board-certified emergency room physicians and nurses, 24-hours a day, 365 days a year and offer the same services provided in an emergency room that is housed within the walls of a hospital.
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Center Expansion: Reston's Inpatient Rehabilitation Center will expand from 18 to 30 beds to support patients recovering from various debilities, including stroke, spine and brain tumors, traumatic brain injuries and other neurological conditions. This project will add 13,000 square feet to the all-private unit; construction will begin in late 2021, with an expected completion date in early 2023.
- Facility Renovation and Modernization: Funds will be reinvested in the facility's remaining patient care areas including women's care services to refresh and modernize finishes; elevating the patient experience across the hospital. The project will also provide improvements to the hospital's physical plant and infrastructure to improve system safety and reliability.
- Surgical Technology Enhancements: Reston is continuing to enhance one of the region's most advanced surgical service portfolios with significant investments in key areas including robotic surgery and augmented reality-guided surgery. These emerging technologies will enhance surgical patient experience through reduced hospital stays and shorter recovery times across many surgical specialties including bariatric (weight loss), colorectal, general, gynecologic, hepatobiliary (pancreas and liver), neuro, orthopedic, spine, thoracic (lung), and urological surgeries, among others.
- Advanced Stroke Care: Reston has enriched their accredited primary stroke treatment program by opening its neurointerventional suite in the fall of 2020. The service is offered in partnership with the nationally-regarded neurovascular team from Medstar Medical Group.
- Technology Upgrades: Additional funding has also been spent or earmarked for updates to cancer treatment technology for radiation therapy and diagnostic imaging system upgrades.
“These service expansions, investments and improvements are critical in helping us to continue delivering on our commitment as a premier specialty hospital, as well as being recognized as the healthcare provider and the employer of choice in the Northern Virginia region,” Deardorff added.
The improvement and expansion projects are underway and expected to be completed over the next three years.