HCA Virginia’s Virginia Institute of Robotic Surgery has performed more robotic surgeries than any other health system in Virginia. Robotic surgery is minimally invasive, requiring incisions just a few millimeters long. These procedures are far less traumatic, resulting in faster recovery times and reduced scarring.
About the institute
The Virginia Institute of Robotic Surgery is comprised of HCA Virginia’s Chippenham Hospital, Henrico Doctors’ Hospital, Johnston-Willis Hospital and Retreat Doctors’ Hospital. In this way, the institute is staffed with collaborating surgeons and specialists that provide you truly integrated healthcare. It allows us to bring you the most advanced robotic technologies in surgical care and to improve your healthcare experience from diagnosis through recovery.
Some of the robotic surgical tools we use include:
- da Vinci® robotic surgery system
- Gamma Knife radiosurgery tool
- Hansen robotic catheter
- MAKOplasty total hip arthroplasty
Leading the world in surgical innovation
HCA Virginia’s expert surgeons are consistently first to use the latest technology to improve treatment and healing options for you. We were first in the world to use the da Vinci robotic surgery system for laparoscopic aortic bifemoral bypass, radical pyeloplasty, nephrectomy, bladder suspension and single-incision laparoscopic common bile duct exploration.
- Craniotomy using intraoperative MRI (iMRI)
- da Vinci® sacrocolpopexy (Central Virginia), supracervical hysterectomy, thoracic surgery and radical prostatectomy
- Laparoscopic common bile duct exploration, adrenalectomy, highly selective vagotomy, appendectomy, herniorrhaphy and cholecystectomy
- Single-incision laparoscopic nephrectomy
- Vaginal augmented reconstruction with commercially available mesh
- da Vinci® tubal reanastomosis, laparoscopic gastrectomy, total hysterectomy and myomectomy and single-site robotic surgery
- Laparoscopic anti-reflux operation, gastrectomy and colon resection
- Flexible single-incision laparoscopic cholesystectomy
- Single-incision laparoscopies for hysterectomy, Nissen fundoplication and gallbladder removal
- Natural orifice, trans-oral, incisionless, full-thickness fundoplication (ExophyX procedure)
- Stereotactic excision (ABBY) breast biopsy
- da Vinci® Nissen fundoplication and pyloroplasty
- FDA-approved robot-assisted laparoscopic procedure for gallbladder removal
HCA Virginia’s hospital network provides you with Consult-A-Nurse, a free service that connects you with an RN or referral specialist to help you.
- Find a doctor and make an appointment
- Answer healthcare and referral questions
- Register for classes and events
Call Consult-A-Nurse at (804) 320-DOCS or (804) 320-3627.
Find a doctor
You can also search online for a doctor by name, specialty, gender or location.