Trust us when you need emergency care fast and close to home in the heart of Richmond.
Retreat Doctors' Hospital's full-service, newly-renovated ER and highly trained staff can treat all of your major and minor needs, 24 hours a day right in your neighborhood.
Our expert team assesses each patient upon arrival, meaning there is also virtually no wait time for potentially life threatening conditions, such as chest pain or stroke.
Retreat Doctors' Hospital Emergency Room Fast Facts
- is chest pain accredited by the Society of Chest Pain Centers with cardiologists to evaluate and manage patients’ care and a dedicated nurse serving as the on-site chest pain coordinator
- Joint Commission Accredited Emergency Chest Pain Center with neurologists on call to evaluate and manage patients' care and trained staff to administer TPA
- has hospitalists providing on-site coverage 24/7
- has an average ER wait time of 10 minutes or less
- has Telepsychiatry services and can expeditiously assess and triage patients with behavorial health needs
- has a fully equipped Critical Care Unit with 18 telemetry beds and 13 ICU beds
- has 100% accredited equipment (CT, X-Ray, Mammography, MRI) in the Radiology Department
- is certified by AARC for quality respiratory care services
Our Fully-Trained Staff Has:
- Emergency Nursing Certification
- An average of 14 years nursing experience
- Emergency Nursing Pediatric Course (ENPC) certification
- Use of the Artemis Broselow pediatric accurate dosing system
- Trauma Nurse Core Course (TNCC) certification
- Pediactric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) certification
Our board-certified ER physicians and RNs are experienced at providing comprehensive care for all ages, including children.
When your child needs medical attention, we offer the pediatric expertise they require in a compassionate environment. Our nursing staff is certified in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) and Emergency Nursing Pediatric Course (ENPC) to ensure the most advanced, specialized care is given to your child.
ER Wait Times You Can Trust
No one wants a long wait in the emergency room. That’s why we publish our ER wait times online, on billboards and via text message. Visit our website or text ’ER’ to 23000 to find out the average ER wait time at Retreat Doctors’ Hospital. We are focused on one thing - getting you the best care quickly. Our average wait time last year was just 10.7 minutes.
Recognize the Signs
Two of the most common life-threatening emergencies are heart attacks and strokes. In both cases, time is crucial. Being able to recognize the symptoms can help save the life of you or someone you love.
Chest pain is often a symptom of heart disease. It occurs when the blood vessels leading to the heart are blocked. This results in less blood, and therefore less oxygen, reaching the heart muscle. When the heart muscle is deprived of oxygen, chest pain and other symptoms result. Chest pain of any kind deserves a medical evaluation to determine its cause.
Stroke is a type of cardiovascular disease. It affects the arteries leading to and within the brain. A stroke occurs when a blood vessel that carries oxygen and nutrients to the brain is either blocked by a clot or a burst. When that happens, part of the brain cannot get the blood and oxygen it needs, so it starts to die.